What's new

DIY outdoor speakers (1 Viewer)

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
DIY Outdoor speakers?? Does such a beast exist? I'm sure it would be easy to throw whatever outside.. but it has to be able to stand up to wind/rain/etc...

I already have the speaker wire outside.. just need some speakers now :)

edit: inspired by the flower pot speakers... hehe

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Speakers using components designed for marine use might be a good starting point. I think a few car speaker manufacturers make some.

That speaker wire you have out there, it's designated for outdoor applications, right?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
Yes it is rated for direct ground burial. Got it from home depot 14/2 stranded copper wire.

I'll check out some marine speakers...
looks like parts express has some but very limited.. pyramid 6.5" and 5.25" drivers.. waterproof though..
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=265-282

wonder if these would be any better than the ones you see at costco for 99 a pair.. (rock style, no-name brand)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It depends on what you mean by “better.” They are probably “better” from a weather resistance standpoint. But probably not “better” from a SQ perspective.

You could always bring the Costco speakers home for a demo and return them if you don't like them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
I have never done any fiberglass work.. but have seen a few tutorials.. it doesn't look too difficult.. especially if my goal is to look like a rock.. doesn't have to be even or smooth..

That would probably be the way to go if you were going to DIY an outdoor enclosure.. wood would not weather as well as fiberglass.. paint it with a sponge for a little texture and it wouldn't look half bad..

What do you think of that idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks