1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY outdoor speakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JohanD, May 21, 2004.

1. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

DIY Outdoor speakers?? Does such a beast exist? I'm sure it would be easy to throw whatever outside.. but it has to be able to stand up to wind/rain/etc...

I already have the speaker wire outside.. just need some speakers now [​IMG]

edit: inspired by the flower pot speakers... hehe

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Speakers using components designed for marine use might be a good starting point. I think a few car speaker manufacturers make some.

That speaker wire you have out there, it's designated for outdoor applications, right?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

Yes it is rated for direct ground burial. Got it from home depot 14/2 stranded copper wire.

I'll check out some marine speakers...
    looks like parts express has some but very limited.. pyramid 6.5" and 5.25" drivers.. waterproof though..
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=265-282

wonder if these would be any better than the ones you see at costco for 99 a pair.. (rock style, no-name brand)

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It depends on what you mean by “better.” They are probably “better” from a weather resistance standpoint. But probably not “better” from a SQ perspective.

You could always bring the Costco speakers home for a demo and return them if you don't like them.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

I have never done any fiberglass work.. but have seen a few tutorials.. it doesn't look too difficult.. especially if my goal is to look like a rock.. doesn't have to be even or smooth..

That would probably be the way to go if you were going to DIY an outdoor enclosure.. wood would not weather as well as fiberglass.. paint it with a sponge for a little texture and it wouldn't look half bad..

What do you think of that idea?