What's new

DIY HT (1 Viewer)

Collin.R

Grip
I am building a HT underneath 1/2 of my double garage. 3 walls are concrete
and one 6" wooden wall with a doorway to a storeroom in the other 1/2 of the double garage. The room is a little narrow (about 113 in) and is 19 feet long. I need to extend my HVAC system to the room and a heating duct before starting to build the HT. I plan to use 2x4 studded walls against the existing concrete walls and install Paradigm SA-35 in-wall speakers for the LCRs behind the screen and I am not sure what I will be using for the LS and RS and I am sure that I will pre-wire for a 7.1 (I currently use an Elite 5.1 that is an awesome receiver and I will have to see how my budget holds out before upgrading it to a 7.1 receiver). I will likely use the new Optoma HD70 projector as an interim measure until the 1080P with an anamorphic lens comes down to a reasonable price in a few years or so. I plan to make my own screen to cover the full 113" width. I would like to try the SMX cloth.

Anyone with some suggestions with regard to my plans re equipment choices,
acoustic treatment for the walls,lighting, etc please pass them on.
Thanks,
Collin.R

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I'm also interested in the Optoma HD70. What is SMX cloth? I recommend recessed ceiling lights(with dimmers switches of course). You don't have to worry about the light shining directly on screen, although no lights on is best when using projector. Also insulate all the walls and ceiling to help with soundproofing. Make sure you run all your cables for projector in ceiling before closing in ceiling. Using a 2" PVC pipe to projector, if possible, will future proof the cabling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks