What's new

DIY cable project #2: Crimp advice needed. (1 Viewer)

David K.

Second Unit
What i want to do is create a bi wire pair using the beldon 5000 series 12 awg 2 conductor cable.

I will get a two runs per cable, twist them and terminate 2 leads x 4 conductors on one end, and 4 x 4 conductors bi-wire on the other end.

i will sleeve both runs seperately (neon red/red techfles), twist them, then use thin strips of clear heat shrink at various points of the cables, then use clear tech flex
and re-sleeve the two twisted cables to hold then in a nice pseudo loom.

then vampire wire bananas (some of the nicest large gauge bananas ive seen, without going to wbt/clones), and crimp 4 gold plated spades on the other end via bi-wire fashion.

im going to make one single cable first to see how it comes out. If it comes out nice, I will make a second cable exactly the same, and sell it on Ebay as a high end bi-wire cable. I see some expensive cables on ebay, but a lot of them use really poor construction and termination.

you'd see $400 cables with 5 dollar small gauge generic taiwan bananas.

--------------

regarding the crimp too, i sent an enquiry to vampire wire, for some advice on the best tools with a link to parts express.

this is the banana i want to use.

Part #HDS5 - Spade Connector
Made from pure copper, then gold plated. #HDS-5 will accept cables up to 12-10 ga., in size. Termination may be either solder or crimp. When crimping, be sure to crimp opposite the seam. The #HDS-5 will fit the large barrier strips that are used on some equipment. Priced per 2 pairs.
Price: $9.50

though i do not know what crimp opposite of the seam means.
along with this
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=360-680

This high quality, precision manufactured tool, features a full cycle ratcheting mechanism to assure consistent terminations. The multi-purpose frame accepts interchangeable dies that produce crimps to industry standards. Ergonomic, pivoting design provides maximum crimping force with a minimum of handle pressure. Features precision high carbon steel construction, molded grip, and positive ratcheting action with emergency release. Net weight: 1-1/2 lbs. Dimensions: 8-3/4" x 2-1/2". Purchase any on the optional interchangeable dies below to crimp the connectors of your choice.

Which die do i use?
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=360-684

or

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=360-686

would this be considered an insulated or non insulated crimp?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
David,

The first die is for insulated terminals (hence the color coding), the second for non-insulated.

“Crimp opposite the seam” means turn the terminal upside down in the saddle of the die. That way the die will press the indentation into the bottom, continuous side of the terminal.

You might want to pick up some regular cheapie non-insulated terminals to practice on.

Good luck with the project.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

David K.

Second Unit
thanks,

whats the difference between insulated and non insulated terminals?

the vampire wire is non insulated?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
These are insulated terminals:

22-18ga.

16-14ga.

12-10ga.

The same color coding is also used for butt splices, ring lugs, etc.

Yes, the spades in the picture you posted are non-insulated.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks