diy cabinet ideas for a dayton dvc 12

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by fred garvin, Dec 31, 2004.

1. fred garvin

fred garvin Agent

i built a 142.5L box for my shiva mark 4 as my first foray into DIY. sounds great with the 500W Parts Express Plate amp, and will pull duty in my home theater for years to come, but i have an extra Dayton DVC 12 driver and a 250W plate amp that i need ideas for a cabinet. I am thinking of using it in my video game rig, which consists of an Onkyo pre, Rotel RB 960 BX amp, and a vintage pair of Coral BX 1200 speaks as mains. would like a sub to give the system a little more rumble for games. any ideas for a cabinet design? i can barely build a cabinet (still a rookie) much less design from scratch.

any help would be sweet. thanx

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

You don't need to design anything, just copy any of the designs for the Shiva, The DVC 12 will drop right in.

3. fred garvin

fred garvin Agent

sounds like a plan, thanx for your help.

4. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Hey Fred-

I've played around with the DVC a little and found it likes a little smaller box than the Shiva. I squeezed two DVC's in about 5cf (with light stuffing) and tuned to 16,20, and 25hz and it really sounds very good.

Here's a few pics.
    pics

However I am a big fan of sealed designs.
    You may want to try 1.3-1.5cf sealed (with stuffing) and pour on the power.
    That would be hard to beat.

Hope this helps.

Kyle

5. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

It typically likes a slightly smaller enclosure than a Shiva, but it is close enough that I would just follow Thomas' advice and just use the designs for the Shiva.

6. fred garvin

fred garvin Agent

hey jack, you got any plans for that 64L box, as well as what passive radiator you used?. i'm intrigued by the passive radiator design and might give it a spin. how do you think it would perform musically compared to the sealed Shiva designs out of curiosity?