What's new

Ditch my JVC or go with a new TV around $2500? (1 Viewer)

Kraftology

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse
Hello,

I have a unique situation here, let me first explain:

I have owned a 61” JVC 61G786 for approximately one year now. It worked for the first 2 months I had it, and after that I have not had a 100% working television ever since. I have had it in for repairs 3 times and the TV entirely replaced 2 different times all within the past 10 months. It has been an absolute nightmare dealing with JVC customer service. Since I have had so many problems JVC is offering to refund me the $2500 I paid for this TV one year ago. I was wondering if you would advise I stick with this TV and continue with the hassle of getting it repaired or go with a different TV.

I have briefly looked at prices on the net and it appears that to get a 61" TV for under the $2500 price would mean I would have to go with a DLP, which I am not sure if I am comfortable with considering DLP's have moving parts, supposedly there is gaming lag, rainbow effect, etc... I did all my research a year ago, and I found LCD or LCOS was the way to go at that time....

So my question is, should I Stick with JVC since it still seems to be the biggest bang for the buck, or move on and go with something else? And what TV in the 60” screen size is the best deal for under $2500?

Thanks for any help!!!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
"It has been an absolute nightmare dealing with JVC Customer Service."

Seems like you might have answered part of your question. As to what to replace it with, that I will leave to others.

Kraftology

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse

Well I would prefer to go with something else for sure... just wondering if there is something else better out there for the price.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Jesse

I think it is going to be hard to beat the JVC on price. So I'm going to throw out an idea just for your consideration. You are into games. The Playstation 3 will be out later this year. There will be 2 versions. One without HDMI output, and for $100 more, one with HDMI. The one with HDMI will be able to output Blu Ray HD DVD @1080P.

Sony has just released its new generation of SXRD with 1080P input and display. I realize it is way beyond your $2,500 target, but Circuit City has the 60 inch 1080P SXRD for $3329. This would put you in a great position for the future.

If I come up with any more brilliant ideas :), I'll let you know.

Kraftology

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse
Well you can get that set a bit cheaper online ($2734) so it may be a possibility, the other Set I am considering is the Samsung HL-S6187W 61" DLP Projection TV which puts me closer to the $2500 mark.

Kraftology

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse

Well I guess I am afraid of it because of research I have done a year ago. Technology moves so fast. I guess I dont mind DLP as long as I dont see this Rainbow Affect I keep hearing about... my buddy has the smaller verison of the samsung and says there is no delay for gaming, rainbow affect etc... The DLP is about $300 less as well.

I have made up my mind to go with one of the two above mentioned units. I would go with the Toshiba 62HM196 but it doesnt have a 1080p input is what I hear?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Some people see the rainbow effect, some don't. $300 might look big now, but comes down to 3 cents a day over the life of the set. I guess I'm partial to the Sony, but its your money. By tomorrow, I'm sure someone else will add additional comments.

Kraftology

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse
Any reason you are partial to the Sony. I went and looked at both the sets, at two different stores yesterday and compared both and the Samsung looked better believe it or not... Also I saw the 65" Mitsubishi 1080P TV and that looked brilliant. It has a 6 color pin wheel which supposedly makes more vibrant colors. I am going to do a little research on that set as well....

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Kraft,

I have seen that 65" Mitsu myself at BB and it does look great. The one thing that worries me about it is that it is running its own material and not hooked up to the regular video feeds like the rest of the TVs. Obviously it is running material made specifically to be shown on it on the sales floor to make it look its best and is being derived from an optimum source. So yes, it looks killer.

But how often will you be watching it that way? Myself? never. I would want to see it hooked up like the rest of the TVs and playing what they are playing.

I have been battling back and forth in my mind between about 4 TVs and just can't make up my mind. But with time on my side, the longer I battle, the better chance I have of the price continuing to drop and getting a steal. Especially if I hold off until Black Friday or even Christmas. Which I would prefer not to do. But a few hundreds bucks is likely worth it.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
And no rainbows? Go for it. I got my 61" 1080p HL-R for $2500 shipped online so the HL-S should be well in your pricerange.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Jesse

I haven't compared these sets as I still have a couple or 3 years left on my Tosh 65H84 CRT RPTV. There are those who prefer the SXRD, like S&V when they did their comparo; and their are those who say that DLP has a sharper picture and better contrast, like John Kotches. Based on your experience, and budget, the Samsung may be just the ticket for you.

Kraftology

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse

yeah i was thinking the same thing about the MITS TV... I didnt even think to have them switch the feed on it though..

Also just curious, what are the 4 tv's you are thinking about?

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Kraft,

Being a technology idiot and not having bought a TV since January 1997 I am having a hard time of it.

But what I have under consideration are as follows...

JVC 56" HD-ILA 1080p (56FH96/97)
Sony 55" SXRD 1080p (55A2000)
Sammy 56" 1080p DLP (model #s vary as they have a few)
or a 50" Plasma (no particular manufacturer at this time)

I don't need to wall mount my TV and esthetically it is likely the least acceptable for my set up and room configuration. I also worry about small children (I have a boy just shy of 3 and a newborn boy) being able to tip it over. How stable are they on those bases/feet?

I am not even sure I need a 1080p. So I may back down to the 720p versions to save money. But why not get the 1080p is my thinking.

Buying a new TV is just too damn confusing. I have almost resigned myself to just putting my choices in a hat, pulling one and buying it. And if I don't like it, go with the next one.

Kraftology

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse
I highly reccomend you stay away from JVC. My JVC was replaced 2 times and repaired 3 and STILL not working. There service is THE WORST i have ever delt with in my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks