Disney Questions

Discussion in 'DVD' started by bob kaplan, Oct 26, 2003.

1. bob kaplan

bob kaplan Supporting Actor

bob kaplan
    BAMBI and CINDERELLA are the about only Disney annimation titles that were on Laser that have not been announced or at least hinted at, on DVD. Might someone have some information as to when we might see these. And while i am at it?...how about SO DEAR TO MY HEART? Any news hear?
    thanks for your help.

2. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I believe both of those are Platinum titles, so they'll be out sometime between next year and 2007, of course it is pretty much confirmed that 1 of the Platinum titles next year is Aladin, so at the most only 1 of those 2 will be released next year, and Little Mermaid is in there as well, but definitely by 2007. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but someone else will either affirm or correct what I've said in this post.

3. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Yep, Casey's mostly right. There's just going to be one "Platinum" next year - Aladdin in October, and then in 2005, they up to 2-a-year. We'll probably see one in March '05, Little Mermaid in the fall, and the other one in March '06, unless Disney changes their plans again before that.

So Dear To My Heart is available in Region 2 - the R1 DVD has been "on hold" for well over a year, and I've heard it's coming in 2004, but it hasn't been announced, so who knows.

4. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I thought 04 was the first year for two platinums a year?

5. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa72.html
    Here's what the Digital bits has to say:
    5/3/03

How do you like this? A rare Saturday post! And it's good news for you Disney fans. In
    an online conference call
    with share holders regarding Q2 FY03 financial results, the studio revealed that it plans to accelerate its Platinum Edition DVD release plans. Part of
    the reason for this is that the company expects HD-DVD to be available by 2007, and they want to get all their catalog animated titles out on standard
    DVD by then (presumably so they can then do it all over again in HD). By accelerating these plans, we mean that the studio now intends to release their
    Platinum catalog at a rate of two films a year, one in March and one on October. Also, they now plan to leave them available for two years at a time, and
    then take them off the market for only five years (as opposed to the ten-year moratorium they'd previously announced). And they've added several more titles
    to their eventual 2-disc Platinum line-up, including Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, Fantasia and Peter Pan.

The specific release schedule is TBA, but here is the new list of Platinum titles on the way:

Snow White (released 2001)
    Beauty and the Beast (released 2002)
    The Lion King (coming 10/7)

TBA:

Aladdin
    The Little Mermaid
    Bambi
    Cinderella
    Lady and the Tramp
    101 Dalmatians
    The Jungle Book
    Sleeping Beauty
    Pinocchio
    Fantasia
    Peter Pan

I'll note that it did not specifically say when they'd start this practice 04 or 05 but looking at the number of titles I had thought it would be 04, but not sure now.