What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Filmmaker and playwright Martin McDonagh is an undeniable talent. There’s something magical about watching a craftsman in this arena exercise that talent, and to do so with a parade of actors showcasing flawless performances is a gift. The Banshees of Inisherin is only the fourth feature film from the prolific playwright, four films rich with compelling characters and dialogue. This quiet Irish tale contemplates what happens when one person rejects with cold objection a former friend, and the questions it forms in the lives of those in and close to that discarded friendship. What results is a superb film, certainly one of 2022’s very best. A 4K would have been nice, but the Blu-ray showcases the film nicely. Highly Recommended!

The Banshees of Inisherin (2022)

Released: 04 Nov 2022
Rated: R
Runtime: 114 min

Director: Martin McDonagh
Genre: Comedy, Drama...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thank you Neil. I'm certainly looking forward to when "The Banshees of Inisherin" is available on disc, so that my wife & I can enjoy it's colorful characters and quirky dialogue.
You do realize that since this is the Blu ray review it is actually available on disc right?;)

Banshees of Inisherin, The Feature https://a.co/d/15sjqf9

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Very good, Neil. Wonderful review.

Peg and I watched the film a few days ago and are still talking about it. So many locations were so beautiful they must have been a cinematographer's dream. Peg looked away during the scenes which made her squirm...but it was an amount of film violence she could tolerate. I immediately spun up my new 4k disc of In Bruges (one of those upgrades from Blu I swore I wouldn't do). I was quickly reminded why I was so captivated with THAT film when I first watched it on disc many years ago.

As I love both these films (and Three Billboards) I guess I have no choice but to procure a copy of Seven Psychopaths sometime? :D

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
This was a very affecting film, and while there were moments of quiet humor, it’s another bizarre quirk that it’s considered in the musical or comedy nominations at the Golden Globes, rather like The Martian a few years ago. Brendan Gleeson has gotten plenty of deserved praise for his subtle performance, but I was equally impressed with Barry Keoghan as Dominic; Colin Farrell has never been better. Not sure if others will need them, but I found it very helpful to turn on the subtitles due to the heavy brogues, similar to last year’s Dublin. I would’ve missed some of the dialogue exchanges without the help. Excellent, if disturbing at times, about how unkindness and existential despair can snowball into tragic unwanted consequences.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Very good, Neil. Wonderful review.

Peg and I watched the film a few days ago and are still talking about it. So many locations were so beautiful they must have been a cinematographer's dream. Peg looked away during the scenes which made her squirm...but it was an amount of film violence she could tolerate. I immediately spun up my new 4k disc of In Bruges (one of those upgrades from Blu I swore I wouldn't do). I was quickly reminded why I was so captivated with THAT film when I first watched it on disc many years ago.

As I love both these films (and Three Billboards) I guess I have no choice but to procure a copy of Seven Psychopaths sometime? :D
I watched Seven Psychopaths- a really fun, bloody good time. It doesn’t have the bleakness of his other films, and the actors really seem to work well together. You’ll recognize several faces that went on to do Three Billboards a few years after this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks