What's new

International Disney Exiting Physical Media in Australia (1 Viewer)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
I tried to buy AVATAR The Way Of The Water in 3-D but all copies were sold out and Disney has stopped importing any more copies.. Postage is far too expensive to import a copy. It is now farewell to Disney as I refuse to join the Disney channel.

BobNewport

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Newport
So you would buy a Disney disc but you refuse to pay for their streaming service full of 4K/Atmos stuff and tons of classic Disney movies and shows not to mention great documentaries? How does that make sense?

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
So you would buy a Disney disc but you refuse to pay for their streaming service full of 4K/Atmos stuff and tons of classic Disney movies and shows not to mention great documentaries? How does that make sense?
It DOES make sense.I specifically wanted to buy an actual 3-D disc which you can't watch when streaming ! I am not interested in streaming Disney as they have little that I am interested in watching. There are far too many streaming channels and the cost to join many is prohibitive.

BobNewport

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Newport
I see. Well when you said this I figured you at least thought of using their streaming service at some point.

"It is now farewell to Disney as I refuse to join the Disney channel"

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas

Disney+ Loses 5.4 Million Q3 Subscribers, Including 300,000 Subs in North America​

ERIK GRUENWEDEL, Media Play News
August 9, 2023

The Walt Disney Co. Aug. 9 reported that its branded Disney+ subscription streaming VOD service ended the third quarter (ended July 1) with 146.7 million subscribers, down 5.4 million subs from 152.1 million subs in the prior-year period.

The majority of subs lost occurred in India where Disney+ Hotstar saw a 24% plunge in subscribers to 40.4 million from 52.9 million in the prior-year period. Disney attributed the decline in Hotstar largely to losing its license deal for Indian Premier League cricket.

However, Disney+ also lost 300,000 subscribers in North America, ending the quarter with 46 million subscribers. International operations, excluding Hotstar, added 1.1 million subs to end the quarter with 59.7 million subs.
Meanwhile, ESPN+ lost 100,000 subs to end the period with 25.2 million, while Hulu added 300,000 subs to up its North American tally to 44 million from 43.7 million. Online TV service Hulu + Live TV lost 100,000 subs to end the period with 4.3 million subs.

Overall, Disney’s direct-to-consumer business segment revenue for the quarter increased 9% to $5.5 billion and the operating loss decreased to $500 million from a loss of $1.1 billion in the prior-year period. The decrease in operating loss was due to a lower loss at Disney+, higher operating income at Hulu and a lower loss at ESPN+.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Disney+ Loses 5.4 Million Q3 Subscribers, Including 300,000 Subs in North America​

August 9, 2023

The Walt Disney Co. Aug. 9 reported that its branded Disney+ subscription streaming VOD service ended the third quarter (ended July 1) with 146.7 million subscribers, down 5.4 million subs from 152.1 million subs in the prior-year period.

The majority of subs lost occurred in India where Disney+ Hotstar saw a 24% plunge in subscribers to 40.4 million from 52.9 million in the prior-year period. Disney attributed the decline in Hotstar largely to losing its license deal for Indian Premier League cricket.

However, Disney+ also lost 300,000 subscribers in North America, ending the quarter with 46 million subscribers. International operations, excluding Hotstar, added 1.1 million subs to end the quarter with 59.7 million subs.
Meanwhile, ESPN+ lost 100,000 subs to end the period with 25.2 million, while Hulu added 300,000 subs to up its North American tally to 44 million from 43.7 million. Online TV service Hulu + Live TV lost 100,000 subs to end the period with 4.3 million subs.

Overall, Disney’s direct-to-consumer business segment revenue for the quarter increased 9% to $5.5 billion and the operating loss decreased to $500 million from a loss of $1.1 billion in the prior-year period. The decrease in operating loss was due to a lower loss at Disney+, higher operating income at Hulu and a lower loss at ESPN+.
Price hike for Disney+.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I see. Well when you said this I figured you at least thought of using their streaming service at some point.

"It is now farewell to Disney as I refuse to join the Disney channel"

More generally even during the cable heydays, I was too lazy (or cheapskate) to subscribe to channels like hbo, disney, etc ...

Fast forward to today, I'm too lazy to go through the motions of subscribing to streaming services. (Other than trying out netflix many years ago).

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

August 9, 2023

This is good news if it makes studios and providers realise that streaming is not a magic money tree. There are far too many streaming services to go round and people are not going to subscribe to half a dozen different services in order to get each piece of the whole cake. I find it annoying that there are many films I would like to see but it would mean subscribing to numerous services such as Netflix. Disney etc and I refuse to do that. In the UK I have a TV satellite package with Sky which includes movies but the choice of film is way down from what it used to be thanks to all the different streaming services having exclusivity of product.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Interesting that even with all of their "exclusives" related to Marvel, Star Wars, etc., D+ seems to have plateaued in the mid-40 millions in North America. That's roughly half of Netflix (reportedly around 76 million subs in NA). Globally they're also significantly behind Amazon and Netflix, which are both over 200 million subs globally while D+ is around 150 million.

I still subscribe only to Netflix (had them first) and Amazon (for the added free shipping benefit). Haven't yet found any reason to add any other streamers.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Interesting that even with all of their "exclusives" related to Marvel, Star Wars, etc., D+ seems to have plateaued in the mid-40 millions in North America. That's roughly half of Netflix (reportedly around 76 million subs in NA). Globally they're also significantly behind Amazon and Netflix, which are both over 200 million subs globally while D+ is around 150 million.

I still subscribe only to Netflix (had them first) and Amazon (for the added free shipping benefit). Haven't yet found any reason to add any other streamers.

I don't know. Doesn't seem quite that surprising to me. Afterall mid-40M subscriptions (spread w/in households and probably also shared amongst extended families, etc at least until/unless they follow NF to stop the sharing) seems about what one can/should expect me thinks. That's what, 35-40% of all households or something like that for a service that should really only appeal quite that much mostly to younger audiences and probably some minority of older ones who are particularly into (mostly new and recent-ish) blockbuster superhero and/or fantasy flix, etc exclusive to Disney's properties since Disney doesn't even bother to put most any of their other vast collection of catalog libraries on there? IF the recent Marvel flix along w/ Star Wars and Indy are seriously underperforming at the boxoffice, then one can only imagine the Disney exclusive streaming service won't likely excel much, if at all, beyond this otherwise reasonable level of adoption even though it may disappoint the investors, et al. And afterall, they have been raising prices and such while probably also making cutbacks, so both that are bound to slow down adoption, if not cut it down significantly...

I mean... if they were drawing 40M households (let's conservatively say of avg of 3 people each) to each Marvel or animated movie or live action remake at the boxoffice, that'd be something like 120M tix even before considering repeat business. Not sure what the avg ticket price is nowadays -- I'm guessing right around $10 or so, but I imagine they'd certainly be happy enough if they can be guaranteed that much ticket sales (before any repeat business) for the vast majority of their movies. Such sales would probably only be a disappointment for an extremely few like Avatar 2 or the like... and actually, we're only talking domestic/North America for that mid-40M households, so that's probably about right and easily more than meets expectations even for something like Avatar 2 and the few other $2B-plus worldwide grossing movies...

_Man_

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This is good news if it makes studios and providers realise that streaming is not a magic money tree. There are far too many streaming services to go round and people are not going to subscribe to half a dozen different services in order to get each piece of the whole cake. I find it annoying that there are many films I would like to see but it would mean subscribing to numerous services such as Netflix. Disney etc and I refuse to do that. In the UK I have a TV satellite package with Sky which includes movies but the choice of film is way down from what it used to be thanks to all the different streaming services having exclusivity of product.

I highly disagree. This is not good news if "hollywood accounting" was done deliberately to come to this "conclusion".

Basically the accounting world's version of "lying by telling the truth" however paradoxical.

:chatter:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks