What's new

Disney Announces The Little Mermaid (Blu-ray) with Trailer (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i would have enjoyed the MERMAID's conversion....oh well...hope this doesn't mean other titles will not be coming in 3D.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by bob kaplan
i would have enjoyed the MERMAID's conversion....oh well...hope this doesn't mean other titles will not be coming in 3D.
Only the theatrical 3D release is canceled. I'm pretty sure there will be a 3D Blu-ray release alongside the 2D only BD release on 10/2/13.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Thanks for that ray of hope Brandon....might someone be able to give confirmation of the Blu 3D release? Thanks.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just re watched the trailer on the Peter Pan blu. Nowhere in the trailer does it mention theatrical release or blu. It just says coming this Fall in 3D. It could be a preview for either except for the following title card which says coming to theaters and is then followed by a preview for Monsters 2. Since TLM didnt get a coming to theaters card, that could be interpreted to mean the TLM is not being released to the theaters. So reading the tea leaves, it's definitely coming out in 3D on blu in the fall. :rolleyes:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A little more info. The comments above were based on what happens when the disc is loaded. When selecting sneak peaks from the menu, several previews are played, the first two areTLM and Monsters 2. There is no title card between the two.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The online trailer linked above makes no mention of 3D; strictly Blu-ray and digital download. There are certain issues, some of which can be seen in the trailer, that make me glad the 3D conversion has been cancelled. This is not a movie that screams out for conversion. Some of the later films, with their deft handling of CG elements interwoven with traditional animation, would make better candidates.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Stephen_J_H said:
The online trailer linked above makes no mention of 3D; strictly Blu-ray and digital download. There are certain issues, some of which can be seen in the trailer, that make me glad the 3D conversion has been cancelled. This is not a movie that screams out for conversion. Some of the later films, with their deft handling of CG elements interwoven with traditional animation, would make better candidates.
I think you're rushing to a desired conclusion, perhaps I have too. I don't think we really know. BTW, wouldn't there have been considerable amount of work already done to make a Fall release?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Johnny Angell said:
I think you're rushing to a desired conclusion, perhaps I have too. I don't think we really know. BTW, wouldn't there have been considerable amount of work already done to make a Fall release?
The only information I'm aware of about a possible 3D release comes from a February 5 post where the individual asks his Disney PR contact if "The Little Mermaid 3D" will still be coming out on Blu-ray 3D this fall. The answer was Yes it will be in 3D and more information will be forthcoming. Source Paul

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H
Now that you mention this, I wonder whether there was a sense all along that 3-D conversions and the sheer number of bad movies (one of the things that killed three both times) were going to dilute 3-D. Out of curiosity, it would be interesting to see how it worked on the Walt-era films that used the multiplane camera. If they wanted to retrofit the pre-CAPS 2-D movies, something along the lines of Fantasia might be a candidate.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I can't help but notice the angry comments about substituting current studio logos for the ones originally on a film, but almost nothing about changing the same film's format radically from how it was shot to 3-D. If I have a choice, I'd rather have the film as shot with a current studio logo, than have it with the original logo but gimmicked into 3-D.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
[quote name='Rick Thompson]I can't help but notice the angry comments about substituting current studio logos for the ones originally on a film' date=' but almost nothing about changing the same film's format radically from how it was shot to 3-D. If I have a choice, I'd rather have the film as shot with a current studio logo, than have it with the original logo but gimmicked into 3-D.[/QUOTE'] The difference is that there's no 'original logo' version to choose from but there is always a 2-D version.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
The difference is that there's no 'original logo' version to choose from but there is always a 2-D version.

Exactly.
I don't care what they do with a film. As long as the
original version is available, the consumer can choose
to buy (or not) the modified version.
Quite frankly, I think Disney has done an extraordinary
job with upconverting their 2D titles to 3D. They don't
do a simple hack job on these conversions. I just received
Monsters, Inc. and look forward to reviewing it over the weekend.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Rick, in a movie converted to 3D you will still have the option of buying a 2D version of the film. Logos aside, you get your choice.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Part of your world like never before!

Disney Enlists Grammy®-Nominated Recording Artist Carly Rae Jepsen
To Celebrate The Release Of “The Little Mermaid: Diamond Edition” With A New Version Of The Beloved Song “Part Of Your World”

BURBANK, CA, June 14, 2013 – This October 1, The Walt Disney Studios animated classic The Little Mermaid becomes a part of our world like never before as an all-new Diamond Edition release. To celebrate the return of the movie that gave voice to a whole generation, Disney has teamed up with the voice of a new generation, Grammy®-nominated music superstar Carly Rae Jepsen, to record a new version of The Little Mermaid’s beloved song “Part of Your World,” which will appear as a music video on the upcoming Diamond Edition Blu-ray™ Combo Pack releases.
Canadian singer/songwriter and breakout pop sensation, Carly Rae Jepsen burst onto the scene with her Top Ten U.S. debut album Kiss and its global smash hit “Call Me Maybe,” which held the No. 1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for nine consecutive weeks and climbed to No. 1 on the iTunes Singles charts in more than 47 countries, while her music videos have amassed over 600 million VEVO views. Jepsen won the 2012 American Music Award for Best New Artist and received two 2012 GRAMMY Award nominations for Best Pop Solo Performance and Song of the Year. Her new single, "Tonight I'm Getting Over You," The Remix ft. Nicki Minaj from her Top Ten debut album Kiss is out now. Ms. Jepsen is set to dazzle our world again with an exciting new rendition of the classic ballad “Part of Your World.”
"Part of Your World" was written by composer Alan Menken and lyricist Howard Ashman and originally recorded for the movie by American actress and singer Jodi Benson, who gave voice to Disney’s favorite underwater princess, Ariel. The song is a Broadway-style ballad in which young heroine Ariel expresses her desire to be a part of the human world.
In addition to the new music video “Part of Your World” featuring Ms. Jepsen, The Little Mermaid Diamond Edition Blu-ray Combo Pack includes a cavern of other wondrous bonus feature treasures. Viewers can experience the film in high definition Blu-ray 3D™, Blu-ray and High Definition Digital platforms.
To stay informed on “The Little Mermaid” and Disney’s exciting collaboration with Carly Rae Jepsen, please continue to visit us at www.Disney.com/TheLittleMermaid.
About The Little Mermaid:
Ariel, a fun-loving mermaid, is off on the adventure of a lifetime with her best friend, the adorable Flounder, and the reggae-singing Caribbean crab Sebastian at her side. But it will take all of her courage and determination to make her dreams come true -- and save her father's beloved kingdom from the sneaky sea witch Ursula!
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For more than 85 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today, the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios; Disneynature; Marvel Studios; and Touchstone Pictures, the banner under which live-action films from DreamWorks Studios are distributed. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wonder why Amazon doesn't have a release date for The Little Mermaid in their system.?

I'm getting the following notifications from them about my pre-order:
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.
Probably nothing to worry about...but it seems odd.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That is a bit odd given the October 1st date.

I would not be surprised if an official press release and preorder
appeared this very week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks