What's new

Dish's $20/month Sling TV streaming service (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Patrick Donahue
  • Start date

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Patrick Donahue said:
It really depends on what you are looking for. That article assumes you want every channel. For myself all I want that I can't get now is CNN, otherwise Netflix, my UV collection, and my subscription to MLB TV (which is a yearly cost) is all the couch time I use. $28/month gets me everything I need. I'm thrilled having the option.
I think Patrick that the cost per channel is less when you go with a lower tier cable package. I'm told that when the adverts start on this the big four cable companies are going to point this out in counter adverts.

Also this new study shows that the streaming effect on cable is small. http://homemediamagazine.com/streaming/deloitte-puts-reality-check-svod-34997

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
I don't think cost/channel is really very relevant, especially when the typical cable lineup is so diluted with shopping, foreign language, wall-to-wall reality channels and unpopular networks. Most people interested in these type of alternatives claim to really only be interested in a handful of channels, 5 or fewer usually. I know in my case there are maybe 3 I might actually pay to have. So what's important is whether they offer some of the few channels you really want, the rest doesn't matter.

P

Patrick Donahue

Supposedly invites will start going out tomorrow for those who registered on the site...

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Bradskey said:
I don't think cost/channel is really very relevant, especially when the typical cable lineup is so diluted with shopping, foreign language, wall-to-wall reality channels and unpopular networks. Most people interested in these type of alternatives claim to really only be interested in a handful of channels, 5 or fewer usually. I know in my case there are maybe 3 I might actually pay to have. So what's important is whether they offer some of the few channels you really want, the rest doesn't matter.

I miss the days of C-Band in which I could order channels a la carte, or order various packages and add the odd channel or two or three if I wanted. They ought to at least let the viewer pick the channels that are in the Sling program.

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
I got an early access invite to try it for 7 days. The Roku channel is out there, the Android app was an apk you download directly, not from the Play store. My guess is the exact same app is destined for Amazon app store, but since its not there yet FireTV support is still missing. Sideloading the apk onto FireTV would probably work. Anyway, the app works really well on a Roku 3 and a couple of Android tablets. Streams start within a couple seconds and quickly snap to full HD quality. HGTV has an annoying slight audio sync issue, while DIY and all the other channels are fine. ESPN has no commercials and just plays a break screen during each commercial block. Starting to stream SlingTV on a different device ends streaming on the first device within a few seconds. There are several reviews out now about the experience based on the early access preview. There is no fully launched web site yet where you can manage your account, but they have a support number. Being able to subscribe/unsubscribe at will is nice, expecially since Verizon and others will be launching similar services to try this year.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
How is the frame rate on this? Does it look like live TV (30 frames per second) or more jittery like most online video?

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
The service is full framerate smooth HD video. However it is adaptive video streaming, so the bitrate can drop if you have poor Internet connection or other things competing to use your Internet bandwidth, reducing picture quality. With my 7Mbps DSL the picture is beautiful most of the time and completely indistinguishable from cable. I haven't tried it on 3g/4g yet.

Also looks like they have fixed the audio sync issue with HGTV since yesterday.

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
I've heard the date Feb 5th (tomorrow), or within 1-2 weeks (as of a week ago), or this quarter. Your guess is as good as mine but it shouldn't be too much longer that it will be generally available.

P

Patrick Donahue

I'm using mine and very happy with it! Just sign up for an invite and you'll be in sooner than you know it...

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
No way I coudl ditch DTV for something like this. Just the fact that only ONE device can stream at a time flat out sucks and renders this pretty useless. Not to mention the slim pickings as far as channels goes.

If they beefed up the channel selection AND allowed everyone in the house to stream at one time, I'd say it was a good deal. As it is now, no thanks.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Been checking it out tonight- will definitely be cancelling before the trial is up. So far I've seen the proper frame rate ONLY on the ESPN channels- and on those, you only get that on the highest bitrate. If the bitrate goes down at all, it'll drop to the more choppy frame rate. Also no 5.1 sound on any channels. I refuse to pay for commercials anyways.

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
I've never seen framerate suffer myself. What it normally does is degrade the picture resolution rather noticeably by dropping to a lower bitrate. At normal maximum quality the bitrate varies typically from about 1.5 to 3.5 Mbps, so your Internet connection needs to be able to sustain at least that and your WiFi signal for whatever device you are using needs to be good. There are settings in the apps to cap the bitrate, with a decent High Quality setting at 1.5 Mbps and much poorer looking Low and Medium settings at 500 Kbps and 800Kbps respectively. These lower settings all look bad on a large TV screen but might be okay on phones and tablets.

P

Patrick Donahue

Sling TV is available to all today. AMC will be added in the coming weeks (and remember AMC includes BBC America, BBC World News, IFC, and Sundance)

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
Just signed up doing 3.7Mb/s right now. Gonna give it the week free trial before I cut the cable off

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
Have noticed some problems with rewinding on hgtv and some with blurry on ESPN. It takes longer to clear up than other channels.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I think ESPN just doesn't understand streaming because I'm always having problems with their WatchESPN app no matter where our what device I'm using. I'm always having to relaunch the app on my AppleTV because streams lockup all the time. It's one of the worst streaming apps IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks