DishNetwork looks great, but only mono audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark C., Feb 9, 2002.

1. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I had Dish installed today, and I must say the picture looks much better than my old analog cable. The audio, however, is another story. I'm only getting a mono track (through my center channel). The installer was, of course, of no help in re-setting my system. The first thing I did after he left was to get rid of a nasty ground loop hum he created in my sub.

My set up: I'm running from the dish outside to the Dish receiver, then RCA R/L audio out to my VCR R/L audio ins. S-Video out from Dish receiver to S-video in on my VCR. RCA R/L audio out from VCR to R/L audio inputs assigned to Video 3 on my pre/pro. S-video out from VCR to S-video in on pre/pro.

I should note that VCR is playing movies back fine in Dolby surround. My goal was to have TV set to channel 3, so I could record with the VCR when the pre-pro is powered.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Have you try connecting the L/R audio outs from the Dish receiver straight to the pre/pro's video 3 L/R inputs and see if you still only has mono sound. My Dish 5000 receiver (alomst 5 yrs old) is setup this way & think I've been able to get stereo & even DPL sound. You can also try the F-coaxial out of the Dish receiver to the VCR for recording (I think mine is setup that way to the VCR & TV for direct viewing when set @ channel 3 without using my receiver).

PF

3. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Looks like my VCR is the culprit. When I run the R/L audio out from the Dish receiver directly to my pre/pro, I get stereo sound. Hmmm. It could be bad input-output plugs on my S-VHS VCR, since the rear of my VCR also seems to be the source of an occasional ground loop.