What's new

DISH vs Disney (1 Viewer)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Didn't see anything mentioned in a quick search...

Does anyone know the latest on the ongoing battle between DISH and Disney that has kept me from getting any Disney owned HD channels other than ESPN and ESPN2 for the last several years?

It's kind of hard to do an internet search, especially since DISH has been involved in so many lawsuits.

I think I read that the deal with ESPN at least is up in September, so I imagine there would be negotiating at some point soon.

Basically, I want ESPNU in HD. And I know that DISH is smart enough to know that if they lose ESPNHD, then they're losing a good portion of their customer base.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
The ongoing battle being their lawsuits? Those don't have anything to do with the HD channels DISH dropped. Disney wanted to charge extra for the HD channels, and DISH balked. DISH doesn't charge extra for HD - they have that "free HD for life" promo. So, they won't pay premium prices for HD channels.

So, don't count on getting ESPNUHD or ESPN News HD. But, I'm sure they'll be smart enough to negotiate ESPN HD by September.

Afiger

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
There's been a lot of this going on lately. It's basically the stations demanding more money from the cable company. They generally protest on the channel for a couple weeks and they work something out. Just wait it out they'll get your channel back to you in awhile.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Is this possibly just a regional thing?

I get loads of Disney channels from DISH, none of which interest me, so not on my favorites list, but there are plenty of them to choose from.

They did cut AMC for a while, along with something else (maybe Fox, I don't recall) but like Afiger said, it's usually just a temporary battle over fees. AMC was restored just in time for "The Walking Dead", so they usually get settled.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Stan said:
Is this possibly just a regional thing?

I get loads of Disney channels from DISH, none of which interest me, so not on my favorites list, but there are plenty of them to choose from.

They did cut AMC for a while, along with something else (maybe Fox, I don't recall) but like Afiger said, it's usually just a temporary battle over fees. AMC was restored just in time for "The Walking Dead", so they usually get settled.
They still carry DC and the likes...just not in HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks