What's new

Dish 501/301 Event Timers with VCR (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hi, I was setting up the secondary receiver (the 301) for recording via a VCR and setup the VCR through the remote and through the "VCR Setup" and it all tests fine. I'm just wondering why does the VCR have to be on for the IR Blaster and Event Timer to record to the VCR? I mean, I can use the universal remote to turn the VCR on and off, why can't the machine be programmed to turn the VCR on before starting the Event Timer? Now, when you want to record something, you have to make sure the VCR is on. Yeah, it probably doesn't eat that much electricity but it's still not as snazzy as if it did power the VCR on and off...
Jay

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Then you'd have to make sure that the VCR was OFF. Unless your VCR has a discrete code for ON that you are able to program into the receiver, the reciever won't know the condition it's in and will just toggle the power. So since you have to make sure it's either ON or OFF before recording, it's probably just easier to make sure it's ON. That way the receiver doesn't accidentally turn it OFF.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

[Edited last by Bill Catherall on July 23, 2001 at 05:03 PM]

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
perhaps there should be one than, rather than just a toggle, have a separate code for "on" if this is set via the IR blaster, the VCR should turn On only if it is Off. It just seems like the whole thing is a neet idea, just they didn't go 100% and do it just that much better. Of course, it would have to be incorporated into some kind of standard (IEEE or something) so perhaps that's why it's limited in it's design.
Would be nice though, no?
Jay

Eram Syed

Grip
I am interested in recording on the VCR using the dish receiver. How do I connect the VCR to the receiver?
I saw that there is a cable input and an antenna input on the back of the receiver. Where does the VCR go?
Currently my cable goes to the VCR to the TV's UHF/VHF input and I am able to record cable only.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks