What's new

Discovery HD Theater (1 Viewer)

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
I've been enjoying the free preview Dish has had on Discovery HD Theater. I decided Sunday I would call Dish and get some information on the particulars of getting this after the preview. They had a "deal" on a yearly subscription that includes the plug in "Advanced HD Modulator". The cost was right at a hundred bucks for the yearly subscription that includes this modulator. The Dish person I spoke to had very little information on this new modulator but said it would be necessary to have this to get Discovery HD long term and future programming in HD. He told me this modulator would allow me to receive HD from 61.5. Will this modulator address some of the pixelation problems occasionally found in HD broadcasts on Dish? Has anyone signed up for this and received the modulator? Does anyone have any information on what other channels Dish might be adding in HD? Dish employees certainly don't seem to know!
Thanks
Jerry

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I believe what you truly need is an "Illudium Q-38 Space Demodulator." Ask the Dish CSR for one of those! :D
Jan
(P.S.: That's a joke, son.)

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys.... I've placed the order now just waiting for the module.

Jerry

DennisHP

Second Unit
According to a Dish rep named Gene, HD Theater IS being broadcast on the 148 bird, the modules ARE available, the shipping for the module is FREE, and the one year subscription is $96.00. I placed my order and received the associated order number and was told I could pay the $96.00 now, or wait until my regular monthly billing. I opted for waiting for my regular billing in case there are problems. It took 10 minutes. I'll post back when the card arrives and I can verify HD Discovery is being broadcast on 148.

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis,

I've called and posted on their web-site, and was told that they don't know when 148 will carry it. PLEASE post and/or drop me a message when you get things hooked up.

TIA

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Their website indicates that the free preview is on channel 9443. Well, I checked and it doesnt come in. Just got off the phone with Dish Customer Service and was told that it is on channel 9420!

Haven't had a chance to see if that channel will work yet!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Interesting, I was told that I had to pay for the subscription up-front, but that it would not be active until I install the HD module. The module should be here in 3-5 business days.

Can't wait!

- Steve

DennisHP

Second Unit
There is extensive discussions over on avsforum.com about Discovery HD. While I have still not received my module yet, others there have and IT IS simulcast on 148.

Apparently the number to call about the channel and the adapter is NOT the regular Dish number. It is 888-220-3474; the replacement parts department.

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
Received my module today. Plugged it in and the only difference is Discovery HD Theater is now on 9420. I'm quite pleased with the quality. Is it too much to ask that this also include sound in Dolby Digital???? Anyone know if any of the programming will be? Hope this is a sign that Dish will soon be adding more HD programming. Anyone heard of any plans for an ABC HD feed?
Thanks,
Jerry

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I guess I can't get the free preview since it is on the 61.5 satellite. I ordered the module, can't wait for it to get here.
I wish the merger would hurry up and go through so we can get HD-Net as well! :emoji_thumbsup:

DennisHP

Second Unit
I've got confirmation from other folks that DHD is coming in on 148. Now if my 8PSK can get out of Fed-ex's warehouse...

After checking the Fed-Ex tracking number I was given for 3 days now, Fed-Ex still does not have the product to ship. So I call Dish and after 45 minutes on hold on the phone I was told they were sorry but the card was never shipped. Of course another is being shipped today UPS but since it has not shipped yet, I have no tracking number. This coinsides with many stories of the same thing happening to others as well. They say patience is a virtue...

Mike I

Supporting Actor
As far as more HD channels from Dish network, there is a good chance will be seeing Mark Cubans 3 new channels of HD net set to debut in October..Dish and Mark Cuban are in negotiations currently over the 3 new channels..

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Dish and Mark Cuban are in negotiations currently over the 3 new channels..
That's great news! Hope they work something out!
I am still waiting for my HD adapter. Ordered it over a week ago! Dish Customer Service really sucks! The guy I spoke to sounded like he was still in grade school and didn't have a clue. It took my 35 minutes to place my order for Discovery HD and the free module! :rolleyes
I am calling them again as we speak to find out where the heck my adapter is! :confused:

DennisHP

Second Unit
Rob, You got to keep on them. I placed my order and got the RA number, called back for the FED-Ex tracking number, however, FED-EX had no record of the number. Called back again and they "mis-placed" my order and setup another, called back again for the new tracking number but they didn't have one, and the adapter arrived two days later by UPS. Then just yesterday I received a notice from Dish that a new channel was available! HD Discovery Theater! DUH!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks