What's new

DirecTV / Tivo / HDTV beginner question (1 Viewer)

Jack_Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi...I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but since it's a beginner question, I'm sure you'll be able to assist.

I've got a regular D* receiver hooked up to a Mitsubishi HD-compatible 55" TV.

I saw the deal to get a Hughes D* / Tivo receiver at CC for $99 in the Deals section.

I also may jump on the $399 deal to get a Samsung or Hughes HDTV Tuner directly from D*.

My question is can I run them both simultaneously on the same TV? I know I can't record in HD on the Tivo, but can I be watching ESPN HD and also be Tivo'ing one or two shows from the standard broadcast?

If this is possible, how would I need to hook everything up? Do I need to do / buy anything special?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Jack

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Yes, you just need to run 3 lines in from the dish (assuming you have or will get the 3 sat dish w/ built-in multiswitch). 2 lines go to the DirecTivo, one to the HD tuner.

Personally I'm holding out ~6 months for HD-DirecTivo. Using Comcast cable HD in the interim.

MattClarkson

Auditioning
One thing you can do...(this is what I do)

Get the Samsung SIR-T160...reason is that it simultaneously outputs in both digital and analog signals. For HD, go component, 15 pin, or DVI to TV. Also go S-Video to a standalone Tivo unit. Two downsides: 1. Can't watch two things 2. Tivo charge is 13 dollars instead of 5 but I'm not complaining.

Jack_Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all...

Thanks for all your assistance...I think I'll give it a whirl!

I ordered the Tivo this morning, and will call D* soon!

Wish me luck!

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks