DirecTV--problem with VCR recording

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter McM, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    Just got DirecTV today. Looks great! But I'm having a problem with the VCR.

When I hit the record button to tape something I'm watching, it's fine. But when I set the timer, all I get is visual static and no sound on the tape. I assume it's hooked up to the satellite line just as it was to the cable feed I just got rid of. Am I missing a VCR reset of some kind?

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I forgot why, but my Directv/vcr setup is completely different. This would depend upon your tuner but I went into the advanced and picked my VCR out of the pile and ran a cable from the back of my Hughes unit to the IR spot on the front of the VCR and just leave the VCR on. You set to record in the Directv menu and it's all done. Backwards, but it works. Have you looked through your manual?

Glenn

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Which cables are you using to connect the DirecTV reciever to your VCR? The RF antenna, composite or S-VHS? If you are using RF you must leave you VCR on channel 3. If you are using the composite or S-VHS it must be left set for the input of either aux/Line 1 or 2 depending on which line you have it connected to.

4. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    My VCR is set to channel 3, but still nothing.

The only thing I want to do is be able to tape certain shows when I'm not home, or tape one thing while watching something else, like I was able to do with cable. Shouldn't there be a way to do that without going to this TIVO thing? I realize I'd have to probably leave the receiver on, but just like cable, turn the VCR and TV off?

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

6. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

You said you have it tuned to channel 3, so does that mean you have connected the receiver to the VCR with an RF connection, as Reginald was asking?

-Dan

7. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

Like Dan said, you have to be using the RF connector (the 'regular' cable TV type of connector) if you've got the VCR set to channel 3.

If you're using the composite connectors (Yellow/Red/White) from the Sat Box to the VCR, you need to set the VCR to the line input (or something like that, depending on your VCR manufacturer - on my Sony, its "Line 1").

Good luck,

Rob