pvr questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KennethF, Sep 26, 2002.

1. KennethF

KennethF Stunt Coordinator

I currently have directv (not high definition, yet), and am considering upgrading the receiver to a directivo. I just had a few questions about it.

I know you can archive the recordings on a vcr, but is there any problem with archiving to a recordable dvd?

Other than the ability to record from cable and ota signals(I am not receiving other tv signals at present), is there any advantage to having a stand-alone pvr (which may cause some signal degradation from the directv signal) versus the combined directivo receiver (which avoids signal degradation)? My main use for this pvr will be to record football games that I attend live, and would like to watch the replays (although my wife may come up with new uses when she figures out what it can do).

Finally, can any of you offer any suggestions on where to get what I'm looking for? I checked a few local satellite companies, and the charges for a pvr are pretty stiff. Should I wait for the "series 2" directivo receiver, or purchase now?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated, as this decision is a brand new bug that just bit me this week(plus the fact that my wife said I could...).

Thanks in advance for all your help!

2. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

I have Dish Network, and recently purchased a DishPVR508 at considerably less than retail, through an upgrade promotion offered by Dish Network.
    I wouldn't be surprised if DirectTV has similar offers...

There are real DISadvantages to using a standalone with a satellite receiver. If you were to want to record to PVR from OTA or cable, then you would want a standalone, however.

As for archiving to recordable DVD, I don't see a problem. The only thing that might be a problem is if the PVR has IR blast features, where it can control a VCR. It may not have the codes to automate recording to a DVD burner. However, you can always start the recording manually.

You may also want to consider the pending merger between DishNetwork and DirectTV. It is quite likely that a significant installed userbase will have to migrate to new receivers when this happens. It has been said that new equipment, equivalent to what you own, will be provided free of charge, if needed... but it's something to keep in mind. I chose to take the plunge regardless...

-Scott

3. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

Hold your breath but dont turn blue and wait for the series 2 DTiVo it should be out very soon, rumor has it Oct 1 or Oct 15 th. If you have never had a PVR you wont beleive how important it will become. Also most wives love them and I bet you will be getting a second after a few months-- his and hers [​IMG] I have 3 -- his, hers and movies. All have been expanded for more recording time. I used to archive but I found I didnt watch the archives so I just quit doing it. It outputs 1 s-video, 1 toslink and 2 composite V/L/R I do use one of them as a DD 5.1 movie server as it has 116 hours of recording time. I added a 100 gB drive last year so I just keep the movies I get on till I see them enough times or I decide to delete them. I have one for our regular series tv programs and one for stuff that looks interesting but we may or maynot get around to it and of course my wifes dumb fashion programs [​IMG]

4. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Mark,
    I am interested as well in a pvr. I currently have Direct TV.

5. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

The way the DTiVo works is it records the bitstream off the sat - NO ENCODING - This means no PQ loss only a small time delay as TiVos are always recording and you are really watching the recording even if it is "live". So if it is a DD 5.1 and you have turned on DD in the original setup (one time setup ) you will record a DD show that will play back DD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] . But some times the guide says it is a DD when it is actually a DS, this is DTVs fault. So whatever you get with a SD receiver is what you can expect the DTiVo to record and PLAYBACK!!! No interactive DTV though [​IMG] But hey its not live, if you are using the DTiVo the way most do so I think they left this feature out, also you cant record the music channels [​IMG] that gets into copyright issues aka napster [​IMG]

6. KennethF

KennethF Stunt Coordinator

thank you for all the replies... I thought this thread had disappeared! I am really looking forward to getting a directivo receiver, but I think I will wait for the series 2 to come out

7. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Thanks Mark!