What's new

Dimension 8250 Desktop for $799 Shipped Free!! (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dimension 8250 Desktop with 2.4GHz P4, 256MB PC1066 RDRAM, Upgraded Hard Drive, 64MB DDR Nvidia GeForce4 MX™ for $799 after MIR, Shipped Free!!
A $100 mail-in rebate and a free hard drive upgrade makes this extremely nice system pretty darned cheap. The Dimension 8250 is Dell`s high end desktop PC. This one gets you a 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4 CPU, 256MB of RDRAM, 64MB GF4 MX video, and all of the other standard stuff. All this for just $799 shipped free!
First, go to DELLHOME
Click on From $1,019 under Dimension 8250
Go through and choose the cheapest options. Pay attention to these:
Save $100 with mail-in rebate. Price shown before rebate [$0] - Make sure this is checked!
[*]Choose one of these free hard drive upgrades:
FREE UPGRADE! 60GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive
FREE UPGRADE!120GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive
Video Ready w/o Monitor [subtract $120]
If you picked the cheapest options the price after you click Update Price & Ship Date is $899.
Click on Continue and add it to your cart.
Shipping is free. Send in the REBATE.
Most states will not be charged sales tax. Rebate expires 01/14/2003.[/list]

Ken.Nischan

Agent
Not bad, but I could build the same system, specwise, for a few hundred less and not be bound by a proprietary configuration.
Pentium 4 2.4ghz based system
512MB RDRAM
400W Case
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Video Card
Maxtor 60GB 7200rpm EIDE Hard Drive
Lite-On 52x24x52 CD-RW
Sony 16x DVD-ROM
SoundBlaster Live Platinum 5.1
3.5" FDD, Keyboard, Optical Mouse
$1016 shipped. Just a hundred or so over the price of the Dell (sans rebate). Gotta love http://www.pricewatch.com

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know what the price diff for adding a 15 inch ultrasharp flat panel is? If it's under $200 to add to the package- I'd love to find anyone thinking about this package that would buy the Ultrasharp and resell to me.

-V

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
hrm. . . after building my own computers for several years now, I just could never bear getting a pre-built system. . . it's almost like getting a home-theater-in-a-box to me.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Not a bad price. I saw a similarly-equipped Sony at Best Buy in the $1150 range, including the 15" flat panel Sony. I think it had DDR ram, though.
I came up with $929, because I added the DVD drive for $30, in place of the CD-ROM. The CD-RW goes in the 2nd bay.
For those building, don't forget to add in the cost of XP.
Vince- the 15" Ultrasharp adds $330 to the price of a no-monitor setup.
I'm growing weary of building my own systems. The cost never quite works out, and my time is worth something. I'm actually considering Mac- turn on and go.:)
Todd

LewB

Screenwriter
Parker:
I bought the 8250 you are talking about in December. I got it with 512M storage, got the 120G Hard Drive, the free 2nd optical drive (CD burner, free DVD player). The deal was for a $200 rebate but shipping was $100. I just configured this system on the Dell web page and the cost is the same as it was in December when they charged you the shipping and gave you $200 back. Net price after all was said and done is about $970.
Having said that, I am really pleased with the machine. I'm even starting to like XP ! The best part is that the download speed on my cable modem as measured by the testing program on my ISPs web page went from about 1.5Mbps to around 3.5Mbps. My old machine was a 300Mhz W95.
One thing you might want to look at twice is getting the low end software loads like for the CD jukebox or DVD player. I found the programs that I got are barely adequate to do what they are supposed to do. Any 'neato' features require an additional outlay at the web site of the software company to get the 'premium/platinum/enhanced/...' version. If you plan on brining your own software, that's another story.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Todd:

I am like you. I just as soon go pick up a pre packaged system (especially with the price of a PC these days) than go out hunting down a mother board, video card, case, power supply, HD, CPU.......etc.

Parker

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Parker,

Exactly. I work on my own cars, tiled my own house, built my own home theater etc, because these all have one thing in common- you save MASSIVE amounts of money doing it yourself.
It doesn't seem so with PCs anymore, though.

I was just about to go for this deal, but I've brought my PIII-667 back from the edge of death again (with free parts), so I guess I'll hold off. Thanks for the heads up, though.

Todd

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
in my opinion it is still cheaper to build your own PC, but the manufacturer's pull a lot of stunts to make you think otherwise. Manufacturers tend to use substandard or proprietary motherboards, poor performing soundcards, etc. That when you bild your own and compare makes the homemade one seem more expensive, but in reality is high quality.

kinda like a home-theaters-in-a-box that ship with a massive passive sub to make the package cheaper but still sound good.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Shucks.
Well, if ANYONE ever sees a package where the 15 ultrasharp is at/under $250 to add to the package- please let me know, because I'd be happy to buy one.
:)
Vince

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If my folks or a family member were looking for a system and I'm too far away to assemble it for em I'd recommend that Dell in a heartbeat. Their customer service and prices pretty much set the standard for everyone else.
But if it's my system that's a different story. You really learn a lot about building your own rig and you can make sure it's configured properly. The last pre-made system I owned had an ata/66 HD and non-ata CD-ROM on the SAME 40-pin IDE ribbon. :thumbsdown: Sure cutting corners like this saves the company & you money but I like the feeling of knowing my system is set up optimally when I first turn on the power button.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Actually, you want to buy the monitor separately with Dell, unless the monitor is free or nearly free. If you buy it with a system, your monitor's warranty length is the length of your system warranty. If you buy it through their accessories section (often for much less), you get the full 3 year warranty.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
As far as the price/performance ratio of this deal, Dell has had better deals within the last 3 months and I expect them to have better deals in the near future.

A similarly configured Dimension 8200 series sold for about $600 shipped at the beginning of the holiday shopping season; a slightly downgraded desktop with a Dell 15" LCD sold for around $500 shipped a month or two before that.

I'm not saying that this deal isn't better than a majority of the garbage deals advertised at local B&M stores like CompUSA, OfficeMax, Staples, etc. What I am saying is that hotter deals are a possibility in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks