What's new

Digital Tuner Cards, Info Needed ASAP :) (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hey all,

I was looking at two models, the Fuji, and the ATI HDTV Wonder, but two questions.

THe ATI Model mentions that you need an Antenna to receive over the air DTV broadcasts. It does not mention if this is an ATSC tuner card for digital cable broadcasts. If I explained that right, can anyone clear this up for me that has it? Can it only receive free over the air HDTV broadcasts and not the kind carried over a cable?

Also, I was looking at the Fuji model as mentioned a bove. If I get one of these cards, will I be able to access my IO Digital Cable from upstairs on my PC without a box needed? This would be a major plus...

Thanks,

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I don't think any PC tuner card will allow you to tune digital cable channels without a decoder box from the cable company.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Neil:

Like Brian said you are going to have to use the cable box. There aren't any cards out there that will replace that yet. Even the cable cards that they make available to monitors to replace the decoder box are still being worked out with cable suppliers and hardware manufacturers.

Also, the HDTV cards for HTPC will only work with over the air signals. You would still have to use your cable box to get you the rest of the HiDef channels.

Cliff Watson

Agent
There are several HDTV tuner cards for the PC that can tune both ATSC (8VSB) over the air (OTA) broadcast and cable (analog & QAM digital) channels such as the MyHD MDP-130 and FusionHDTV 5 Gold cards.

All computer HDTV cards are limited to "unencrypted" digital cable channels and that is usually analog channels below 100 that have been converted to digital and cable rebroadcast of local OTA digital channels.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Go with Cliff's advice. Forget the ATi, too many people have had problems with it, and for the price you can do better. Never heard of the Fuji.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I wound up buying the FusionHD card. After a few days of trouble shooting, I finally got it to read digital channels without the box.

Although, the only worthy channels we'll be getting are 2-13 HD. Letterman looks great in HD, too bad Enterprise is off the air, but at least Smallville is still around, heh.

no Gameshow network however... Most of the channels it reads have a black screen so I guess that means they are encrypted...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Holy crap I didn't even know Letterman was in HD. Just Googled it and it started August 29 hah. About time!

Glad you like the card, I fear Comcast encrypts everything that goes into my house. I tried the firewire method (from cable box to HTPC) and ran into problem after problem. :

Have you tried and compared OTA signals yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks