What's new

Digital To Analog Input (1 Viewer)

AbelM

Second Unit
Ok, here's my problem:
I have a reicever that has 3 optcial inputs and 1 coax. Well my coax is taken up by my DVD player, yet I have another caox cable to come from my Digital Cable. So I have a few questions:
1. Will a normal red rca cable be able to transmit a digital source? Sucha s one that came form my DVD player?
2. Now that you know my problem (paragraph up above), can I take the red rca cable (If it works right) from teh digital out on my cable box to the Analog input on my reciever? I understand I want have a digital source, but will I still get sound?

1. It can, but you'd probably want to use the YELLOW cable instead, because it's closer in impedance than the red one.

2. You can't do this. It won't work. Better off using an optical cable from dvd to receiver to free up the coax one.

AbelM

Second Unit
I can't use optcial from my dvd cuz it is only coax!!! AHHH!

And what you mean use the yellow one? The yellow one is video, don't I need audio?!

Yes, but if you can use it. The color coding just indicates the different properties of the cable. They are all the same type of cable.

Looks like you're outta luck if your dvd player doesn't have optical. Guess you gotta decide which one you want to have digital audio for (hint: dvd). Digital cable (at least here), only has some channels in 5.1, and even then, it's never as good as dvd. Just use the RCA red/white for your cable box.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Abel,

Your question is being answered in the hardware section too. You can get a digital coax to toslink converter from Parts Express part number 180-960 for about $14.

Dan Hine

AbelM

Second Unit
Thanx Dan, but I found one at a local HT shop in town for $19.99, 5 bux more, but hey, no shippin or waiting :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks