Digital cable sound problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

i have a problem with my sound from mt digital cable box. I have a Scientific Atlanta box and I get DD 5.1 from HBO and SHOW also. I also can get ditigal 2.0 sound from the digital tier channels.

Now, I use the Denon 3802 to decode the 5.1. I use the coax out to goto the Denon from the cable box. The problem is, when i turn the channel to one of the low ones (2-50), the sound cuts out all together. Do they not even send signals through the coax out if the signal isnt digital? So I have to use the analog outs for sound from my receiver? I have to turn the Denon to VCR1 from TV using analog inputs for the low channels. Is this right???

thanks

2. David John

David John Stunt Coordinator

Simple answer..Yes. The lower channels are still analog, so you need to connect the analog audio outputs from your cable box also.

Set your receiver to auto detect, and it will use the digital signal if it is present, if not, it will default to the analog signal. (your receiver may already do this)

I found the same when i first hooked mine up too.

Now, it works perfectly.

3. TylerN

TylerN Stunt Coordinator

That's how my setup works too. For the lower channels i have to switch my receiver to an analog input. It would have been nice for the cable boxes to have analog-to-digital converters in them so we didn't have to do this.

4. David John

David John Stunt Coordinator

Follow up... I wasn't clear before, but connect the analog audio to the same input you have the digital connection mapped to. (video 1, TV, etc...)

This way, you don't have to switch inputs on your receiver. It will switch between the digital or analog signals itself.

5. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

worked...thanks to all