What's new

Digital cable sound problem (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
i have a problem with my sound from mt digital cable box. I have a Scientific Atlanta box and I get DD 5.1 from HBO and SHOW also. I also can get ditigal 2.0 sound from the digital tier channels.

Now, I use the Denon 3802 to decode the 5.1. I use the coax out to goto the Denon from the cable box. The problem is, when i turn the channel to one of the low ones (2-50), the sound cuts out all together. Do they not even send signals through the coax out if the signal isnt digital? So I have to use the analog outs for sound from my receiver? I have to turn the Denon to VCR1 from TV using analog inputs for the low channels. Is this right???

thanks

David John

Stunt Coordinator
Simple answer..Yes. The lower channels are still analog, so you need to connect the analog audio outputs from your cable box also.

Set your receiver to auto detect, and it will use the digital signal if it is present, if not, it will default to the analog signal. (your receiver may already do this)

I found the same when i first hooked mine up too.

Now, it works perfectly.

TylerN

Stunt Coordinator
That's how my setup works too. For the lower channels i have to switch my receiver to an analog input. It would have been nice for the cable boxes to have analog-to-digital converters in them so we didn't have to do this.

David John

Stunt Coordinator
Follow up... I wasn't clear before, but connect the analog audio to the same input you have the digital connection mapped to. (video 1, TV, etc...)

This way, you don't have to switch inputs on your receiver. It will switch between the digital or analog signals itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks