What's new

Digital artifact. (1 Viewer)

MichaelGomez

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a 32" Panasonic Tau pureflat TV a few months ago. I have all of my equipment running through the s-video switcher on my Sony STR-DA555ES receiver.

The problem is that the picture with s-video is so much better than standard cables that the digital artifact during prime time (HD signals) makes everything look terrible.

I switched back to standard cable and the picture is so much darker and less crisp that it annoyed me so I had to go back to the s-video.

Is there a way to fix this problem? Other than buying a HDTV. I couldn't talk my wife into the HDTV when I went TV shopping.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, then you aren't watching HD broadcasts if you don't have an HDTV and/or a set top box

Do you have digital cable? If so, there's your problem. Personally I've found digital cable to be horrific

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand what you are talking about. When Fox broadcasts something in HD, any TV will still pick up the broadcast. It just won't be 1080i.
First off, Fox only broadcasts in 480p digital, they don't do HDTV yet. You're still watching the standard def signal, the HD broadcasts are on separate stations. What you're seeing are artifacts from Dish Networks encoding

That is, unless you have the HD version of Dish Network's reciever.

BTW, have you calibrated your TV? That migth help to hide those artifacts.

John Hagan

Auditioning
I have a 27" Sony Vega connected to Direct TV and I experience alot of digital artifacts like you have described. The picture is fantastic when watching dvd's. I have tried everything to correct this (including replace the cable from dish to tv) but there has been no improvement. This seems to be a problem with Direct TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks