What's new

Dig Cable Double-speak. Translation needed. (1 Viewer)

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Can someone tell me if my cable co (AT&T) is full of it? What does the below mean? I've had dig cable for some months now. It's ok. I was told by the tech that AT&T does a box upgrade when requested. Adding an S-Video out to the box. I have confirmed it's possible on that unit. Well, the short answer was no, but their explanation confounds me:

"Digital NexTV provides higher quality video services to your existing television set without requiring the purchase of a special High Definition Television. AT&T delivers digital signals in a 64 QAM modulation format. The digital signal allows our customers to realize improved noise and distortion performance through the cable system (increased audio and video quality). Our Digital Set Top Box interfaces directly your TV in the NTSC video (coaxial input) format."

I just got a new Sony Wega (mostly for DVDs). I really don't even care about TV all that much or I would be using a satellite dish or something, but should I be annoyed with this?

Any input appreciated.

--Steve

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi
I would say that your Digital box should have the following
Composite Video
S-Video
Coaxial Digital Audio
Stereo RCA
this should be in addition the the coax connection that we all used to run through our VCR's
If they only provide a COAX connection, how are you to utilize the better video quality and the extremely better audio??
Hope it works out for you
Take it easy

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Thanks Paul,

The cable box does not have the component and S-vid out. Just the reg coax. I knew that months ago. S-Vid is optional equipment and rather than provide it, it seems like they are trying to tell me how their technology makes it unnecessary. It smells kinds fishy, which is why I'm looking to find out more about the "64 QAM modulation format" and what the heck it means for me.

--Steve

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Just a follow-up. I got this response from someone on the AVS forum who lives in my area and thought I'd post it in case someone else has a question regarding this issue.

--Steve

Yes, your (and my) cable company is full of it.

64QAM modulation has nothing to do with whether there is an S-video output on the box. I assume you have a Motorola (GI) DCT2000 series cable box. The S-video output is an optional build feature from Motorola, and most of the boxes purchased by AT&T in our area do NOT have S-video out.

I got basically the same story from the install tech about just asking for a different box. He claimed to have two at home with S-video out. Apparently, you have to go to one of AT&T cable's major offices and find some cooperative person to pick through the pile of boxes until you find one with S-video. So far, I haven't found that cooperative person, but I have gotten a lot of blank stares.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.