What's new

Different Ohm rated speakers? (1 Viewer)

Jim*P

Auditioning
I have a home theater system that the fronts are higher end and operate at 4ohms. My rears are Klipsch in-ceiling that operate at 8 ohms. Can I runs this set up? Drawbacks?

Thanks!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As long as your receiver is capable of handlling the 4 Ohm mains, it should be fine. Mixing impedances isn't a problem.

Jim*P

Auditioning
OK ... I did not realize that the speakers are 4 ohm when I bought them and my Denon AVR-2802 does not operate at 4 ohms. So it looks like I am going to need a new receiver right? Can anyone recommend one that works at 4ohm? Do I have to have a receiver the operates at 4ohms if those are the specifications of the speakers?

Thanks again!

Jim

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Does it have preamp outputs? If so, you cn use an external amp to drive them.

Just because it recommends not using low impedance speakers, it doesn't mean it can't handle it. Whether it can or not will depend on a number of things, like the size of your room, the sensitivity of the speakers, the volume at which you listen, etc...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Different impedance for the front set vs. the rears isn't much of a problem. I would hesitate if you had suggested to start using different impedances between the L and R speaker positions.

No need to buy a new receiver either (unless you need the excuse ;) ). Just don't use it at really full power (which you probably wouldn't want anyway).

Cees

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
the denon should be ok with three 4 ohm speakers...asking it to power more and you'll start to strain it and maybe cause it to go into protection mode. I use to run three Magnepan's off my old Denon 3300 and it was fine though when I added the maggie surrounds you could tell it wasn't too happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks