What's new

Differences between Lexicon MC-1, DC-1, DC-2 (1 Viewer)

Brett M

Auditioning
Can someone give me a rundown on the differences between the Lexicon MC-1, DC-1, and DC-2? Assume fully loaded and v. 4.0 software on all.

I had pretty much been sold on the MC-1, but am hearing that it's the exact same unit as the DC-1 except with a few more inputs. If I don't need the inputs specifically, I could save 1k+ and put it into nicer amps, etc., etc.

So what's the story?

Also, with getting a 5-channel amp and 2-channel amp, is it best to put the 2-channel amp on the fronts, or does it matter (assuming same wattage all the way around).

Thanks much!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I had pretty much been sold on the MC-1, but am hearing that it's the exact same unit as the DC-1 except with a few more inputs.
I've had both, and the MC-1 is a vastly superior unit. If you plan to use it for video switching, the MC-1 is a must. The DC-1's video circuitry was weak and, in some instances, caused significant signal loss and a poorer picture. The MC-1's video switching was completely re-engineered and is rock solid.

The MC-1 is also audibly quieter than the DC-1 (which was pretty damn quiet to begin with). It has a better signal-to-noise ratio and a lower noise "floor".

With today's sources, the DC-1 did not have enough digital inputs. I'm currently using five digital connections, which is more than the DC-1 offered.

M.

Philip Brandes

Stunt Coordinator

Bret,

This isn't true--there were significant differences between the MC-1 and DC-1 (different DACs, audio section). The source of confusion here might be the DC-2, which was released at the same time as the MC-1 and has the same audio components. If you can live with the fewer inputs and don't need video switching, the DC-2 is a better value than the MC-1. However, with DC-1's going for under $1K, you get a lot of value there too--just make sure you get a DD or DTS version with V4 software.

Cheers,
Philip Brandes

GordonL

Supporting Actor
OTOH, if you think you might want to participate in the future trade-in for the upcoming MC-XX, the MC-1 will probably have much higher trade-in value than the DC-1/DC-2. That is, the differences between trade-in values hopefully will be much higher than the street price differences. For example, there might be a $500 street price difference between the DC-1/DC-2, but a $1000 difference when used in a trade-in.

Philip Brandes

Stunt Coordinator
True enough, Gordon--provided the unit has not been traded-in previously towards an MC-12 and then resold (the vast majority of used units on the market are trade-ins). Once traded in, it will not qualify for a trade-in to the "baby" MC-12.

Cheers,
Philip Brandes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks