Differences between Lexicon MC-1, DC-1, DC-2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett M, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Brett M

Brett M Auditioning

Can someone give me a rundown on the differences between the Lexicon MC-1, DC-1, and DC-2? Assume fully loaded and v. 4.0 software on all.

I had pretty much been sold on the MC-1, but am hearing that it's the exact same unit as the DC-1 except with a few more inputs. If I don't need the inputs specifically, I could save 1k+ and put it into nicer amps, etc., etc.

So what's the story?

Also, with getting a 5-channel amp and 2-channel amp, is it best to put the 2-channel amp on the fronts, or does it matter (assuming same wattage all the way around).

Thanks much!

2. Michael Ipp

Michael Ipp Stunt Coordinator

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

IMHO "Sonically" (Logic 7/Multi ch music-movies) the MC-1,DC-2,DC-1, are the same.

5. Philip Brandes

Philip Brandes Stunt Coordinator

Bret,

This isn't true--there were significant differences between the MC-1 and DC-1 (different DACs, audio section). The source of confusion here might be the DC-2, which was released at the same time as the MC-1 and has the same audio components. If you can live with the fewer inputs and don't need video switching, the DC-2 is a better value than the MC-1. However, with DC-1's going for under $1K, you get a lot of value there too--just make sure you get a DD or DTS version with V4 software.

Cheers,
    Philip Brandes

6. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

OTOH, if you think you might want to participate in the future trade-in for the upcoming MC-XX, the MC-1 will probably have much higher trade-in value than the DC-1/DC-2. That is, the differences between trade-in values hopefully will be much higher than the street price differences. For example, there might be a $500 street price difference between the DC-1/DC-2, but a $1000 difference when used in a trade-in.

7. Philip Brandes

Philip Brandes Stunt Coordinator

True enough, Gordon--provided the unit has not been traded-in previously towards an MC-12 and then resold (the vast majority of used units on the market are trade-ins). Once traded in, it will not qualify for a trade-in to the "baby" MC-12.

Cheers,
    Philip Brandes