Difference between N28 and S26

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Parker, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,
    I was wondering if there is any big difference between n28 and s26 as far as sound quality goes?

2. Kevin Parker

n28 have smaller tweeter and bigger woofer.

3. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

N28's tweeter is titanium laminate (mylar?) as opposed to the S26's titanium tweeter.

4. Kevin Parker

so it means s26 sounds much better?

5. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    The S Series as a general statement is the higher end speaker. Listening preference is of course a matter of personal taste.

I listened to both Series and my taste was more to the S series. My ears heard clearer mid's in the S's as compared to the N's. This is NOT saying there is anything at all wrong with the N series. I'd bet you would be happy with either choice. Listen to them both and let your ears and wallet decide.

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Kevin - if you do a "direct comparison", you can tell a difference. I did that with my 2-year old JBL N24 (placed on top my S26) vs. JBL S26, when I initially received my S26 and about a week ago.
    Prior to playing my CD Music tracks, I REF Calibrated @ 66 dB SPL for both speakers and left it there for each CD(s).
    Let me tell you, the mid's for both are 'great', super flat and excellent for both speakers (sampled: Diana Krall, Frank Sinatra, Harry Connick Jr., etc. voices) - from the Yamaha's 90 Hz fixed x-over up to (guessing) 8 - 10 kHz. After that, the 1" Pure-titanium dome tweeter has audible shades of depth, extra sparkle, layers of resolution over the 3/4" Titanium-laminate dome tweeter - "ONLY" evident w/side-by-side comparison. (The S26 sounded much better during the 2nd comparison vs. the 1st - done approx. 4 months later)
    Anyway, I went back and forth, playing the same tracks over and over for about an hour+ or so. The JBL N24 held it's own and I can hear why Brent Butterworth wrote about the JBL N24 ...

7. Kevin Parker

Thnax a lot guys for sharing your knowledge, I really appreciate it.