What's new

Difference between N28 and S26 (1 Viewer)

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,
I was wondering if there is any big difference between n28 and s26 as far as sound quality goes?

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
The S Series as a general statement is the higher end speaker. Listening preference is of course a matter of personal taste.

I listened to both Series and my taste was more to the S series. My ears heard clearer mid's in the S's as compared to the N's. This is NOT saying there is anything at all wrong with the N series. I'd bet you would be happy with either choice. Listen to them both and let your ears and wallet decide.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Kevin - if you do a "direct comparison", you can tell a difference. I did that with my 2-year old JBL N24 (placed on top my S26) vs. JBL S26, when I initially received my S26 and about a week ago.
Prior to playing my CD Music tracks, I REF Calibrated @ 66 dB SPL for both speakers and left it there for each CD(s).
Let me tell you, the mid's for both are 'great', super flat and excellent for both speakers (sampled: Diana Krall, Frank Sinatra, Harry Connick Jr., etc. voices) - from the Yamaha's 90 Hz fixed x-over up to (guessing) 8 - 10 kHz. After that, the 1" Pure-titanium dome tweeter has audible shades of depth, extra sparkle, layers of resolution over the 3/4" Titanium-laminate dome tweeter - "ONLY" evident w/side-by-side comparison. (The S26 sounded much better during the 2nd comparison vs. the 1st - done approx. 4 months later)
Anyway, I went back and forth, playing the same tracks over and over for about an hour+ or so. The JBL N24 held it's own and I can hear why Brent Butterworth wrote about the JBL N24 ...
Sometimes I found myself pining for the more emphasized treble of the ProMonitor 80s.
... and the JBL S26 has that "more emphasized treble"!!
My JBL NSP1s a keeper - going up to my vacation house!
JBL knew that both products were different and created the 2 Series. But you’ve got to credit JBL, because both Series have garnered very good to excellent Professional Reviews and acceptance in the Industry and consumer arena.
Hope this helps,
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks