What's new

Did I just fried my receiver? (1 Viewer)

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I have a Yamaha HTR 5560 receiver for about 18 months now. Today, as I was watching "Masters and Commanders" the receiver froze on me. I can't turn down the volume nor the power through the remote control. I also can't turn off the volume and power on the receiver. My volume is at -10db below reference level. What I have done before I watch the movie is doubling up the speaker wires. I have the 16ga speaker wires connected through all my speakers. Since I have extra speaker wires sitting there for months, I figured it can only gain by doubling up the speaker wires so I combined the two 16ga wires for my mains and center. I turned on the movie at chapter 4 where the battle begins... cannon shotting real loud and shaking my apartment, so I decided to turn down the volume. That's when I noticed that I couldn't turn it down/powering it off... The movie is still playing though, the sound is still there... I just can't do anything on the remote nor on the receiver's buttons. I then unplugged the power cord. Everything is off for good... I can't power it back on... Can anyone help me with this??? My feeling is that I fried the receiver :frowning: Probably time for me to get a new one. Perhaps the pioneer 1014... But if it can be fix for cheap I will do it... any suggestions? Thanks in advanced!

Al,

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Do the HTR series Yamaha receivers only come with a one year warranty (I know the RXV series have at least a two)? Even if it is only one year, where did you buy it? If you bought it from an authorized dealer, regardless of whether it's still in warranty, I would contact them first and see what they can do for you. If it is out of warranty, I still bet they would make some sort of accommodation for you, since nobody expects an expensive piece of equipment like this to go out in only 1.5 years, and they hopefully would like to keep you as a customer. Of course if you got it online, well, all this is a moot point probably.

It does sound like something has gone awry inside that needs replacing, but I doubt it was the result of your rewiring. If you had somehow managed to short the wires, that would put the unit into protection mode and it would automatically shut down. But, once you'd examined the wires and removed the short, it should operate normally. What you describe sounds much worse than that, what with the lack of control and the fact that the receiver kept playing. I personally would check into getting that Yamaha fixed before jumping into a new receiver, unless you just don't like the Yamaha for some reason. The Yamahas are usually quite reliable and should last far far longer than 18 months!

Aaron Gilbert

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
Before you try and power the Yamaha back on, disconnect the DVD input and the speaker wires from the back. Some power amps do what's called crowbar and will not reset until the load (speakers) are removed. If it comes back on you've saved yourself some hard earned $$'s.

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all for replying... I unplugged all wires off the receiver and still can't power it back on :frowning: I guess I have to call yamaha tomorrow to see if they will charge me to fix it. Unfortunately, I bought this unit online and it's not from the authorized online dealer :frowning: Will see how much it will cost? If the repair cost is too high, I am thinking of getting the Pioneer 1014 unit. I can spend roughly about $500. Any receivers that especially stand out in that price range other than the Pioneer 1014? Thanks all...

Al,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks