What's new

3D Blu-ray Review Dial M for Murder 3D Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Robin9 /t/324315/dial-m-for-murder-3d-blu-ray-review/90#post_3996933
This is strange. Again I disagree. I thought she was excellent in Dial M For Murder but really irritating in To Catch A Thief. I thought she was at her best in the two re-makes: Mogambo where she gives a brilliant portrayal of sexual hypocrisy and High Society where her looks were absolutely right and where she is far better than Katharine Hepburn was in The Philadelphia Story.

LOL. Well, it would be a boring world if we all thought the same way. Just out of curiosity, what about her performance in TCAF irritated you? I found it to be among her most free and sexy performances.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
For what it may be worth, Grace Kelly was awarded the New York Film Critics' Circle Award for her work in three 1954 films: Dial M for Murder, Rear Window, The Country Girl.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And the successes of those three films plus Green Fire, The Bridges at Toko-Ri, and To Catch a Thief in 1955 helped her rise to the #2 ranking box-office star in America in 1955.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JohnMor said:
Just out of curiosity, what about her performance in TCAF irritated you?  I found it to be among her most free and sexy performances. 
A good question and one that's set me thinking.
It's just possible that I've done Grace Kelly an injustice and that my real objection is to the character she played, rather than the way she played it. Certainly the character is unlikable and I'm puzzled that John Michael Hayes and Hitchcock clearly thought the character was attractive. She is conceited, snobbish - "teenage French girls yet!" - and emotionally fickle. Brazenly on the make for Jean Robbie and confident he will not be able to resist her, she immediately sides against him when her mother is robbed without first thinking the facts through, unlike her mother. When she thinks she is losing lost him, she declares "I'm in love with you" as though that settles everything and he now has to dance to her tune.
Grace Kelly's playing of this role has always suggested to me that she shared Hayes' and Hitchcock's enthusiasm for this character and that has irritated me. I now realise that she may simply have been acting extremely well, losing herself in the part and becoming indistinguishable from the character she was playing.
Perhaps I should give Grace Kelly a second chance. The Blu-ray disc is so splendid, I'll watch it again very soon.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Douglas R said:
There's a scene in the film which I've always though is clumsily edited. It's when Ray Milland and Anthony Dawson are seated with Milland discussing the plan as Dawson smokes his pipe. There's what appears to be a continuity error as Milland's position alters and their drinks are suddenly empty. But it's more than a continuity error because I've always got the impression that a chunk of dialogue has been cut.
I got hold a copy of the play and have been able to satisfy myself that I was correct about cuts having been made. Between the lines TONY: "Oh I know I did" and LESGATE: "Why do you think she married you?" is a lengthy piece of dialogue with Tony saying that he had always intended to marry for money - making his character appear more unsavory than it now is. Also, between the dialogue TONY: "She nearly did" and "After we were married", Tony tops up their drinks. The awkward editing in those places is very obvious so presumably the cuts were made at a late stage.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I had never seen the film until it kept being referenced to on this site. After watching it I would say it is a good film, but describing it as pedestrian is not an entirely inaccurate description, especially if it is compared to other films he made. It was shot in colour, but I couldn't help thinking to myself that it might have been much more intense if he had shot it B&W. It will be interesting to see the 3D version; although, I doubt that I am going to find it all that impressive, considering the film takes place almost entirely in a single apartment.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
A whole new level. I take people should be warned that this is not North by Northwest. You can't appreciate this film if you're waiting for the action to step out of the room and go outdoors. It's an adaptation of a play, which should be enjoyed for what it is. Go in knowing the rules of the game, and it's fantastic.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
HDvision said:
A whole new level. I take people should be warned that this is not North by Northwest. You can't appreciate this film if you're waiting for the action to step out of the room and go outdoors. It's an adaptation of a play, which should be enjoyed for what it is. Go in knowing the rules of the game, and it's fantastic.
Exactly--It's more like Rope 3D, where Hitch played with the immersive tensions of a stage thriller. And on 3D, it's not Dial S For Sammy, either, but he does play around with a few interesting depth perceptions, to show what can be done.
("I found this key...")

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Don't have time to re-read this entire thread, but wanted to ask: has the issue of ghosting been brought up? I just had my new Panny 55" installed and calibrated, and I am in awe of its PQ. I decided to watch DIAL M as the inaugural title earlier this evening. About half the shots were about perfect -- nice depth, pretty fair color. But the other half of the shots produced some fairly distracting ghosting. Was this more common for older titles? (I did watch parts of AVATAR while calbiration was going on, and saw some there, too). I guess my understanding is that active shutter produces more ghosting than passive, but that in most other ways it is preferable. I'm not expecting IMAX quality (although, even there, I saw a few stray outlines). Just wanted an opinion or two about this issue with regards to DMFM. Many thanks!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Dick
Don't have time to re-read this entire thread, but wanted to ask: has the issue of ghosting been brought up?
I just had my new Panny 55" installed and calibrated, and I am in awe of its PQ. I decided to watch DIAL M as the inaugural title earlier this evening. About half the shots were about perfect -- nice depth, pretty fair color. But the other half of the shots produced some fairly distracting ghosting. Was this more common for older titles? (I did watch parts of AVATAR while calbiration was going on, and saw some there, too).
I guess my understanding is that active shutter produces more ghosting than passive, but that in most other ways it is preferable. I'm not expecting IMAX quality (although, even there, I saw a few stray outlines).
Just wanted an opinion or two about this issue with regards to DMFM.
Many thanks!
To answer your question, yes. The ghosting did bother me more when I viewed it on my Panny 50" than my Panny 65". I think it had more to do with my viewing position than the size of the screen.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Looked great on my Vizio with zero ghosting! http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/dial-m-blu-ray-review

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dick, I have an active shutter LG 3D display and the ghosting was so bothersome for me that I couldn't give this film the kind of rating it should have deserved. ...and I don't regularly see such ghosting with other 3D films.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Dick,
I have an active shutter LG 3D display and the ghosting was so
bothersome for me that I couldn't give this film the kind of rating
it should have deserved.
...and I don't regularly see such ghosting with other 3D films.
Was the ghosting you noted in production photography or dupes?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I made no such note. I only reported what I was seeing in end home product. This is one of those titles that has gotten a wide range of reaction from both sides of the spectrum. Read the wealth of the comments on this forum and others and you will see that many have seen the same ghosting issues, which is probably the worst of any 3D title I have personally seen. On the other hand, there seems to be an equal amount of people that don't see any ghosting whatsoever. Originally, it was my best guess that it might be a situation where active shutter owners are seeing the ghosting and and passive are not. However, based on more recent comments in this thread, that doesn't seem to be entirely the case. All I can tell you from a personal standpoint is that I was really bothered by the amount of ghosting in the Blu-ray presentation. I don't generally have ghosting problems on my display, though when I do it seems to be in agreement with others who have seen the same issues.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Robin9
she is far better than Katharine Hepburn was in The Philadelphia Story.
[SIZE= 24px]Whaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttt?[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 18px](get him!!!!!)[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 16px] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 18px]...faints...[/SIZE]

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have an active shutter DLP display, and noticed no ghosting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by JohnMor
LOL. Well, it would be a boring world if we all thought the same way. Just out of curiosity, what about her performance in TCAF irritated you? I found it to be among her most free and sexy performances.
Same here about Grace, I also loved her in Rear Window.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks