What's new

Devil's Advocate uncut DVD...does it exist? (1 Viewer)

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
I've got the original LD of Devil's Advocate, and am wondering if the same uncut version (with the complete and unaltered writhering sculpture sequence) exists on DVD.

If it does exist, can one tell from the packaging or disc spindle information?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
It has problems with some players, which is why I got the laserdisc instead at the time. Now I wish I'd gotten both though.

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator
It is out of print, but in case someone offers to sell you a copy, you can verify the ISBN on the package: 0-79073465-6. The information on the spindle is very difficult to make out, especially since it's stamped onto the spindle and then covered over by the front label. You can make it out on the back side but wrong-reading (as well as I can make it out): 7Y 15090V2.1.B WAMO VB01.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
It only has problems on certain Pioneer players. The latest generation Pioneers can play it fine.

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
I have the original. From what I remember, the ending had to be changed in the second version because of legal reasons. I believe they had to change the moving artwork scene.

Jim

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The packaging of the original unedited "Devil's Advocate" DVD differes in two ways from the altered reissue.

First, the original version contains a disclaimer on the back assuring the reader that the sculpture in the film is not affiliated with Ex Nihilo. This disclaimer is absent from the edited version since the offending sculpture has been removed from the picture.

Secondly, the orignal version's spine reads simply "Devil's Advocate," while the second version says "Devil's Advocate Special Edition."

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
There's several old threads about this, which you can find with a search, where I and others posted several different methods of telling one version from the other. My method concerned the SKU #'s on the boxes. You might still find some on eBay - my copy cost me $50 there over a year ago - but you definately don't want to get taken. BTW, yes the deal was over the "moving artwork" toward the end of the film in the penthouse. It too-much resembled some actual art in the Washington National Catherdral. Comparisons can be found around the 'Net. New copies of the film digitally blur out the artwork, and clip the scenes where the art was "prominently featured".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The OOP version has 15090 as its catalog number on the spine of the paper cardboard case. The in print version was 16xxx for its catalog number.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Actually, they didn't cut anything. Instead, they removed the people from the artwork, leaving only the waves. It returns to its original form for the ending.

It should be noted, that Warner did an incredible job with the alteration. It's perfectly seemless...

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
One time this came up, I did some screen caps from the changed version. They live on this page, here if you want to see what Warners did to the picture. Bear in mind that I've not touched the site in years, if you're thinking of Michael extraction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satimis
Recent bookmarks