What's new

Details Indiana Jones Trilogy (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter
What do you mean they got it wrong?
LC had 1 documentary on laserdisc. Not two. And the laserdiscs had no extras.

There really isn't anything groundbreaking in that article. Nothing that hasn't been covered here time and time agian.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Originally posted by Brendon:
From a puritanical stance, I would have thought that the 5.1 remixes of the original soundtracks would have angered everyone more than the corrections.
The 5.1 mixes on these DVD's are derived from the original six track mixes done for the 70mm releases of these movies. They are not the radical re-thinking's along the lines of Jaws or Superman - The Movie.

In fact, the new sound mix on Raiders corrects an error that was on the widescreen LD. The sound of the Staff of Ra being dropped into the map room was very different on that LD compared to every other release and the original mix. It sounded like a baseball bat being dropped in there. This new DVD corrects the sound.

Neil

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have a copy of the raiders of the lost ark VHS with the teaser for temple of doom in front of it.

JACOB

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
To those "reflection purists" out there, all is not lost. The filmmakers either didn't know or simply forgot about the cobra's reflection when Marion falls in front of the glass because the reflection is still there.
I was wondering whether they'd corrected that one as well. Guess not. Then again, there are so many flubs in the Indy Trilogy, it would take them years to digitally erase every one of them.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
*sigh*

You can please some people all of the time, or all people some of the time...

Yeesh.

Me, I can hardly wait! :D

Brendon

Second Unit
In fact, the new sound mix on Raiders corrects an error that was on the widescreen LD. The sound of the Staff of Ra being dropped into the map room was very different on that LD compared to every other release and the original mix. It sounded like a baseball bat being dropped in there. This new DVD corrects the sound.
I happily stand corrected Neil! Unsure as to whether the first two films had 70mm multichannel magnetic soundtracks done for them, I presumed they only had Dolby Stereo optical tracks done.

My point on the 5.1 track is that many people (rightly in some cases) object when a 5.1 track is issued with films that did not originally have one. Or at the very least, where the original mono/stereo/DS soundtrack is not included.

Is there a website out there that outlines the various soundtracks that have been put together for the IJ trilogy that go into similar depths as the ones for the SW trilogy ? My VHS Definitive Collection of the classic SW trilogy had liner notes by Ben Burtt (I think) outlining how the various soundtracks for the THX SW releases were derived from the mono, Dolby Stereo and six track sources. I've yet to do the "Sounds of" featurette yet on the DVD set.

I'll compare and contrast the Staff of Ra sequence between my DVD and LD sets tonight.

Having had a brief look at the discs content at lunch, I've got this warm fuzzy feeling inside! Having John Williams wax lyrical about the score for Raiders (is there actually a less than perfect theme or cue in the entire score ??!!) is just fantastic!

Bren

GaryEA

Second Unit
Just *WHAT* home DVD set would make some people happy ?!
For me, and this applies to a number of releases future and past, that answer would be the films I watched when I saw them initially.

No CGI replacing earlier SFX, no bombastic new sound mixes, no editorial changes. Just the movie as it stood before the studio decided to release it.

Remember, somebody thought colorizing would be a great idea because they felt people were turned off by B/W films. Now it feels like nobody can stomach SFX from 1981.

I'm sure a lot of you disagree because you'll be happy with the new set, or you'll think my comparison is flawed (technology to "fix" films), but DVD continues to fuel my reservations about film and film history.

And I'm sure it will never, ever stop.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'm sorry, but digitally erasing a reflection that should have never been there is being compared to colorization? I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that's a bit of an extreme position...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I know - but my DVD budget is extremely limited at the moment. :frowning: From now until January all I am getting are Indiana Jones, Looney Tunes, and the Walt Disney Treasures.

Greg Black

Second Unit
I hear ya, buddy. My wallet is hurting from the DVDs that I've bought recently. I'm in debt from other purchases (TV, DVD player), and I need to dig up some money for Indy next week. Ugh, I think I'm going to have to put myself on a tighter budget from here on out until the new year.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
No CGI replacing earlier SFX, no bombastic new sound mixes, no editorial changes. Just the movie as it stood before the studio decided to release it.
Indy doesn't have any of thse things. CGI is used to clean up existing effects by removing reflections and various visible riggings. It doesn't replace anything. There are no editorial changes and the new sound mix is based on the 70mm mix.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I'm with Dan. There is no, I think, black-and-white line of acceptable and not changes to a film. Many are for the better, some are meaningless, some are bad. Take them on a case-by-case basis... and you'll find the Indiana Jones changes (save for the name of the original film) are very minor, and not a change to the films themselves.

Anthony Clifton

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, maybe I'm nuts, but maybe we're just getting our chain yanked here.

Anthony Clifton?

Tony Clifton?

Maybe i'm way out on a limb--but it sounds like a funny little in joke in the spirit of Andy Kaufman's Clifton character.
That's really quite rude. We're obligated by the rules to use our real name when registering here and now you're calling me out because of it? I find it insulting that my name is a joke to you.

GaryEA

Second Unit
Perhaps I should clarify my earlier comment; When I mentioned "CGI replacing earlier SFX, no bombastic new sound mixes, no editorial changes", I was referring to the question of what DVD release would make me happy, not simply Indy. Sorry for the mix-up. :)

As for colorization - I mentioned it as an example of modern technology (at the time) being used to clean up, change, or alter films to make them reach a wider consumer base. When colorization was introduced, it was to get people to watch B/W films.

Fast forward to now, and CGI can be used to do just about anything, including rewriting movies or polishing up. The novelty of a film's original SFX becomes something to be questioned. Should we take out the reflection, or leave it in? Considering how briefly it appears in the film, I'd prefer to keep it in to respect the artisans that helped make that scene work.

As Justin mentioned, we can go on a case by case basis. Some are minor, some horrendous.

I'm in the camp that just wants to see the films as they were, without any changes. And if there's going to be an SE, I'd like the original to be released as well.

Gary

Dave-Q-H

Agent
Should we take out the reflection, or leave it in?
I definitely respect the point, but I bet Douglas Slocombe was kicking himself when that reflection was first noticed. I'm sure he and SS would've removed it if possible, and they must be thrilled that now the audience see Indy stare a Cobra in the eye, rather than Harrison Ford and a snake separated by a piece of glass. (*edit*that sounded a bit harsh - I always loved the shot, and it's even better now)

For me, the same goes for any of these gaffs. Special effects guys always say they are successful when their work isn't noticed because the viewer is enthralled in the movie - these unintentional mistakes can shatter the illusion.

I love the Indy DVD trilogy! :D especially finally being able to see all of ToD - the sacrifice scene is butchered worse than the sacrifice himself in the UK cut! :angry:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
To those "reflection purists" out there, all is not lost. The filmmakers either didn't know or simply forgot about the cobra's reflection when Marion falls in front of the glass because the reflection is still there.
Not a reflection purist, but I do find it annoying when they tackle things to "fix" them and do a half-assed job of it.

Like Lucas's SE'ing of Star Wars (not talking substantive, just digital cleanup). They supposedly fixed some lightsaber stuff but there's that scene w/ Ben and Vader where the saber clearly needs digital fixing and they missed it completely--despite being one of the most obvious effects gaffs in that movie.

Now they make a bruhaha to remove Indy's reflection but leave Marion's?

My dad was a disciplinarian and boy, would he have whupped on these guys for their efforts (or lack of it). :D

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
And you know this how? The Digital Bits said "[w]e're told that some 14 minor fixes were made to these films in all." I'd say one would have to know what the 14 "fixes" are before deciding their effect. Can you point me to your reference for this?
Lowry did it. Lowry isn't going to make editing decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks