What's new

Desperate Journey - 1942 Errol Flynn (1 Viewer)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by borisfw

No wonder. I've been looking for tcm to show Perfect Specimen for years. I've requested it many times. Bummer.
Certainly is a bummer. Well if it isn't going to be released anytime soon, I take it someone will make a VHS-to-DVD or even a LD-to-DVD transfer. Hell, if I owned a ton of Errol Flynn on VHS or Laserdisc, I'd make DVD-R copies of them. Of course soon as an official STAMPED/PRESSED, not burned, DVD and/or Blu-ray is released, I'd toss out the interim version.
The Perfect Specimen would either be 82 or 88 minutes, Warner would go after the longer one, if it were to ever be released onto DVD. Was it released by WB, RKO or MGM? I guess that gives away I've never seen it. Doesn't even matter to me since I'd own it anyway.
One film out of Errol's filmography I REALLY want to see Footsteps in the Dark. The premise of the movie just highly fascinates me. Maybe I'll find it on VHS?

Charles H

Screenwriter
FOOTSTEPS IN THE DARK, NEVER SAY GOODBYE, NORTHERN PURSUIT, UNCERTAIN GLORY, DESPERATE JOURNEY, ESCAPE ME NEVER, THAT FORSYTE WOMAN were all released on VHS. MARU MARU and TOO MUCH, TOO SOON (which looked fascinating in the clip on THE ADVENTURES OF ERROL FLYNN) never made it to VHS.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Danny Burk

TCM does run FOOTSTEPS now and then; I don't know whether it was ever released on VHS.
Footsteps In The Dark was released on VHS by Warners, I sold my VHS on EBAY for $10 about 3 years ago.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford I'm gonna buy it but I can't watch anything on Blu-ray since I don't own a player yet... Is the mono track TrueHD? I'm still going to keep the HDDVD.
Does Warner still use THINpaks for their boxsets? Signature II was great but felt uneven since it could've had one more film. Speaking of THINpaks, I've been considering hunting for covers of the individually released Flynn films, just squishing the spine from the snapcases, and printing them out. Even goes for the Amaray which are in Signature I and Western Collection. Even considering making a custom cover from one of the various PD releases with the theatrical poster art but I'd rather wait for Warner to obtain the rights back to it and Silver River. Of course both could be released individually.
You know the boxsets actually won't mean much to me once all of Errols films are released upon DVD. I'm planning to put all of them on a shelf organised via his filmography.
AND ANOTHER THING. I've noticed from Amazon a couple of his titles are OOP. Guessing these're being rereleased? They are:
KIM and The Master of Ballantrae.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Here are ALL of the rest of Errol Flynn's films which have yet to receive a proper DVD release. No, DVD-R certainly doesn't count since I could make my own VHS to DVD transfers.
They are in chronological order: (Information culled from various sources online including VHS releases of which I sadly do not own.) (One asterisk indicates release on VHS and another asterisk which is GREEN indicates colorised VHS.)

Green Light - 1937 - 85m
Another Dawn - 1937 - 70~73m
The Perfect Specimen - 1937 - 82~88m
Four's a Crowd - 1938 - 85~91m (Warner Archives doesn't count.)
*The Sisters - 1938 - 95~99m (Could have been in the Western Collection?)
*Santa Fe Trail - 1940 - 110m (Mired in public domain releases. Should've been remastered and put in the Western Collection.)
*Footsteps in the Dark - 1941 - 93~96m (I'd really love this if it were released in a boxset. Not a War themed one of course.)
*[COLOR= rgb(51, 153, 102)]*[/COLOR]Desperate Journey - 1942 - 107~109m (Thread subject, will be released in the next boxset, another themed one? I nominate Errol Flynn at War Collection.)
*[COLOR= rgb(51, 153, 102)]*[/COLOR]Edge of Darkness - 1943 - 118~120m (Will be in the next boxset. Same as above.)
*Northern Pursuit - 1943 - 93m (Would be great in a possibly themed Errol Flynn at War Collection.)
*Uncertain Glory - 1944 - 100~102m (Same as above.)
*Never Say Goodbye - 1946 - 95~96m
*Cry Wolf - 1947 - 83m
*Escape Me Never - 1947 - 103~104m
*Silver River - 1948 - 108~114m (Should've been remastered and put in with the Western Collection.)
*That Forsyte Woman - 1949 - 112m
*Adventures of Captain Fabian - 1951 - 100~101m
Mara Maru - 1952 - 98-99m
Crossed Swords - 1954 - 89m
*The Warriors - 1955 - 85m
Let's Make Up - 1956 - 72m
The Big Boodle - 1957 - 83~84m
*Istanbul - 1957 - 84m
Too Much, Too Soon - 1958 - 121~122m
The Roots of Heaven - 1958 - 130~131m

So I guess there ought to be an Errol Flynn at War Collection and a companion one released later in the year? Both should utilise THINpaks. Warner Brothers missed out on a great opportunity to release a set this year since he was born in 1909. What a blunder...

Edited by Ray_R - 7/30/2009 at 01:57 am GMT

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Ray_R

Here are ALL of the rest of Errol Flynn's films which have yet to receive a proper DVD release. No, DVD-R certainly doesn't count since I could make my own VHS to DVD transfers.
They are in chronological order: (Information culled from various sources online including VHS releases of which I sadly do not own.)

Green Light - 1937 - 85m
Another Dawn - 1937 - 70~73m
The Perfect Specimen - 1937 - 82~88m
Four's a Crowd - 1938 - 85~91m (Warner Archives doesn't count.)
The Sisters - 1938 - 95~99m (Could have been in the Western Collection?)
Santa Fe Trail - 1940 - 110m (Mired in public domain releases. Should've been remastered and put in the Western Collection.)
Footsteps in the Dark - 1941 - 93~96m (I'd really love this if it were released in a boxset. Not a War themed one of course.)
Desperate Journey - 1942 - 107~109m (Thread subject, will be released in the next boxset, another themed one? I nominate Errol Flynn at War Collection.)
Edge of Darkness - 1943 - 118~120m (Will be in the next boxset. Same as above.)
Northern Pursuit - 1943 - 93m (Would be great in a possibly themed Errol Flynn at War Collection.)
Uncertain Glory - 1944 - 100~102m (Same as above.)
Never Say Goodbye - 1946 - 95~96m
Cry Wolf - 1947 - 83m
Escape Me Never - 1947 - 103~104m
Silver River - 1948 - 108~114m (Should've been remastered and put in with the Western Collection.)
That Forsyte Woman - 1949 - 112m
Adventures of Captain Fabian - 1951 - 100~101m
Mara Maru - 1952 - 98-99m
Crossed Swords - 1954 - 89m
The Warriors - 1955 - 85m
Let's Make Up - 1956 - 72m
The Big Boodle - 1957 - 83~84m
Istanbul - 1957 - 84m
Too Much, Too Soon - 1958 - 121~122m
The Roots of Heaven - 1958 - 130~131m

So I guess there ought to be an Errol Flynn at War Collection and a companion one released later in the year? Both should utilise THINpaks. Warner Brothers missed out on a great opportunity to release a set this year since he was born in 1909. What a blunder...
So all of these have had VHS releases at one time or another?

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by DeWilson

So all of these have had VHS releases at one time or another?
I looked on Amazon Marketplace but alot of them are going for $12-$45. I'm just going to wait for them on proper DVD's. I'm not even sure if the majority were released on VHS but it seems quite alot were that I can tell. I could edit my list to put an asterisk for those released onto VHS though.

EDIT: I've also been downloading alot of Errol Flynn trailers via DownloadHelper from YouTube. Damn I'd love to see them all get remastered onto DVD. The films of course. I've hardly seen any of his films which aren't released onto DVD. I think out of the Westerns Collection I certainly know I've seen Virginia City, barely remember it, and possibly Montana. Other than that it makes no difference to me as I've already stated, if his entire filmography is released on outstanding DVD's, I plan on owning all of them. The above list I made out of five of them were released via United Artists so I'm assuming MGM could release a boxset of their own.

Edited by Ray_R - 7/29/2009 at 11:53 am GMT
Edited by Ray_R - 7/29/2009 at 12:02 pm GMT

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I finally ordered The Westerns Collection off of Amazon Marketplace for only $29.89! Can't believe I've held off on buying it for so long. Still disappointed the set didn't include Silver City, Santa Fe Trail (damn 42 billion public domain releases!) and possibly The Sisters.
Still hoping the set next year (should've been for this year since it's Errol's centenary) will contain all the WWII titles fully remastered. Obviously since it's only four titles, Warner Brothers should release a companion boxset a few months later with five random titles. Here's to hoping Footsteps in the Dark is in that set.
Would anyone want me to list the full run of Flynns filmography on VHS which has been colorised?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks