What's new

Desktop PC: Help me customize a Dell (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
It's been awhile since I've computer shopped. I have a rough idea what my needs are, but I'd like some opinions.

The most system-intensive task I usually perform is ripping home VHS videos to DVD. I often do this in the background while doing other stuff (listening to itunes, working in Word or Publisher, using the internet, etc.) all at the same time.

I don't do any gaming to speak of.

So, in terms of RAM, processor speed, video cards, audio, etc., what should I be looking at?

Intel vs. AMD? Celeron vs. Pentium vs. Core 2 Duo?

Budget-wise, I'd like to stay under a grand.

Thanks,

Jon

Edit: I see these two options which are nearly the same price - which would be better for my needs?:

1. Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E4300 (1.8GHz, 800 FSB)

or

2. Pentium® D Processor 915 with Dual Core Technology (2.8GHz, 800FSB)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The Core 2 Duo is the better newer processor and uses less electricity; get that. (Clock speed is definitely not the whole story.) 1 GB RAM minimum. Built-in audio is fine. Video card: anything nVidia or ATI would be better than built-in Intel, but not required.

If you have any money left in the budget, get a faster Core 2 Duo. If you're doing a lot of encoding, over the lifetime of the computer, you could end up saving a day or week of your life :)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Definately stay away from Celeron. As for RAM, get 2GB if you can swing it.

That being said, I've got a 3.2GHz Pentium D Dual Core w/ 2GB RAM I bought near the end of 2005 and it is plenty fast for video editing and running multiple programs. But, Ken is right, the Core 2 Duo is newer and faster than the Pentium D at the same clock speed. From what I've read, within a certain range, a slower clocked Core 2 Duo is even faster than a faster clocked Pentium D. I don't know how big the difference between the clock speeds has to be before that isn't true, though.

I just got a Dell notebook for my wife this past Christmas and it has a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo. I don't think I'd want to go any slower than that if you'll be doing any video editing. She just uses it for surfing the web and office-type software. But if it comes down to, say, a choice between 1.86GHz Core 2 w/ 2GB RAM versus 2.13GHz Core 2 w/ 1GB RAM to stay in your budget, go with the little bit slower processor and more RAM. You'll appreciate the extra RAM.

As for the AMD dual cores, everything I've seen says the Core 2 Duo is a better processor.

Oh, and one final thing, definatley check around for electronic 'coupons' at places such as www.supercoupon.com as you can usually save quite a few bucks.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would go with the Core2Duo and as much RAM as you can afford. Depending on what Dell charges for extra RAM you might want to configure it with minimal RAM and order additional RAM from Newegg (I usually get Corsair RAM).

If you're going to run Vista I would aim for at least 1.5GB and preferably 2GB.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I've already determined not to skimp on the RAM (2 GB fer sure); It's mostly the processor stuff that I know nothing about.

By the way, what's the typical max capacity for RAM these days?

I appreciate the input.

Jon

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Before you hit the motherboard's max capacity for RAM, your going to hit significantly diminishing performance returns on your RAM increases. I think once you get over 2GB, your bang for buck is not going to be worth it. At that point you'll be better off spending the money increasing your processor speed.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Alright, now I'm straying from Dell and I see this:

Gateway desktop with:
  • Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E4300 (1.8GHz, 800 FSB)
  • 19" LCD widescreen monitor
  • Windows Vista Home Premium
  • 1024MB DDR2 RAM
  • 320GB hard drive
  • Printer that I don't need
If I spend, say, $120 to add 1GB of RAM, the whole she-bang will cost $950.

Sound like a winner? (my only concern is the Gateway brand).

Jon

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Maybe. But try configuring the same from Dell. Before I bought my current Dell I priced a boatload of configurations between Dell and Gateway. Never once was Gateway cheaper. Also remember, right now you can get 25% off the price of a Dell desktop with those readily available online codes.

As far as Gateway brand, I had 4 Gateways between 1992 and 2005 until I switched to Dell. I never had any problems with them. Of course if you look hard enough, you'll find PLENTY of horror stories on the internet regarding ANY manufacturer.

Edit:

I just configured the same as you did above cheaper at Dell with a couple upgrades:

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E4300 (1.8GHz, 800 FSB)
20" LCD widescreen monitor
Windows Vista Home Premium
2048MB DDR2 RAM
320GB hard drive (7200RPM)
256MB Nvidia GeForce graphics card

for $929 after 25% discount.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Bryan.

The only Dell discounts I can find, though, are for AMD processors only. :frowning:

Jon

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
6TD9G$5C07?T2W

The above code is good for 25% off any Dell Dimension system over $999.00. It's good through 2/15 (or 4000 uses). But chances are there'll be another code to replace it on 2/16.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Nope, that code didn't work. The error message that came up says that 6TD9G$5C07?T2W is good on SELECT Dimension desktops. Apparently, "select" means AMD's.

Oh well, thanks for trying.

Jon

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Sorry, I didn't realize that. There will be new coupons out 2/16. They may have some for the Intel chips then.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

You can configure the new Apple Xserv with 32GB of RAM. I'm pretty sure that the newest Core2Duos are 64-bit. A 64-bit processor can theoretically access a ridiculous amount of RAM -- probably much more than you could afford or would want :)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

Good question. I've been assuming that it was a notch below Intel processors, but I may be wrong (?)

Jon

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor

Yeah? You can look at AMD's also if you want, especially since you are looking at the low end intel Core 2 processors, most all AMD chips (X2 version) will be better performance then any 4XXX core 2. Now if you went up to the 6xxx core 2 that would be different.

So look at any AMD processor X2 at 3600+ rating also.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
There's nothing wrong with AMD, it's just that right now the Core2 Duos are the performance leader. Next rev it could swing back.

Since you're moving VHS to DVD, you may want to consider getting a TV card built in (for the vidio inputs). That way you don't have to worry about configuring it. Of course, I don't know how you're doing that now.

I'm a little surprised you are able to rip from VHS while doing all those other things without dropping frames. If your current converter doesn't report on dropped frames, you may have lost quality in the conversion and not been aware. In any case, in addition to the duo, I'd go for as fast a CPU as possible given you desire to multitask.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
After a full three minutes of research (:D), I've come to realize that Intel vs. AMD is an intense, passionate debate among many who act like experts.

Some claim that Intel is superior and more stable.

Others say that Intel is over-priced and they inflate their specs, that AMD is more honest in their claims and out-perform more expensive Intel processors.

Something tells me that, whichever I go with, the difference will be negligible.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks