What's new

designing and building a subwoofer (1 Viewer)

LeeTr

Auditioning
i am somewhat new to the home theater world. but have been doing alot of reading in the last couple weeks. i have just baught a Denon surround receiver and a pair of yamaha 3 way bookshelf speakers. i made sure the receiver had a range from 20hz - 20kHz. the yamaha speakers responce is 45hz-20khz. i am not concerned with the rear or center channels right now. right now i want to build a subwoofer. i like the really, really deep bass. I am thinking a good quality 12in sub in a vented or band pass box. originaly i thought that the sub should stop where my yamaha speakers start (frequency wise) but the more i read the more i am unsure. and also, a freind of mine had a aiwa shelf system and a basic sub, and it was one of the best sounding systems i have heard. so how can i get the best really deep bass, and how high of a frequency should it go to.
also, volume isn't a big deal at all right now cause i live in an appartment. but i do hope do move in to a house in the next couple years. thanks

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
LeeTr

Check out (adireaudio) online for all subwoofer building questions and supplies-I'm building the 12" shiva in the tuned enclosure.

rogo

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Do a bit of searching in the DIY and Advanced section here adn you'll find enough info to keep you busy for few hours and hours.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Don't be so worried about implied or real frequency response....

These days, a really seep sub should be able to get down to 15hz!!! It used to be higher, but now they are adding such harsh frequncies to the LFE channels on movies.

Go with a 15", or possibly a dual 12" to drive hard at these frequencies.

The aiwa system, with a basic sub, will be very challenged driving hard on future movies.

Your sub should be able to perform decent from 15hz to about 120hz..... This is becasue various speakers and room combo's can actually perform best somewhere in these ranges, and experiementation and calibration is the only thing that can really reveal where the best sub crossover point will actually be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks