What's new

Denondvd3800 Refurb...killer Deal!!! (1 Viewer)

Mike_Pal

Agent
:D Bought one of these a few weeks ago......does anyone think that the Denon DVD3800 for around $450.00 is the steal of the year? Even if it is a refurb? A $1,200.00 player, that is a baby brother to Denons' top of the line, $3,500.00 DVD9000 player?? A player that looks beautiful, puts out a picture that is so good you will keep thinking, "is this picture really that good? is this picture really that good? Is this the best picture I have ever seen?" I defy you to find a better player for under $450.00...under $1,000.00...under $2,000.00......weighs almost 25 lbs., and is built rock solid! It is truly a beast!!! There a still few out there at this price...... think about it......would you want one of the best players built???? I stressed and worried before buying...am I making the right decision?? $450.00 is a lot for me to spend on a DVD player.....my budget was around $300.00 or so tops when looking..I kept gravitating back to this player..... wished I could have it.....
Well,
I got it.
I am very, very happy. Happy, happy....a happy camper!!! The picture , especially with a quality TV, is u.n.b.e.l.i.e.v.a.b.l.e.! I could go on and on with the familiar words...filmlike, 3-D picture, etc., etc........
It is well know that some players built before Sept. 2002 had a faulty laser assembly, and since the 3800 has just been discontinued last month, the replacement laser assemblies are coming from.......big brother, top of the line, the DVD9000! In fact, the one I bought (build date 08/02...naturally)started showing symtoms of a possible problem in the first week, and Denon is fixing it right now. NO hassle, very nice, friendly help....nothing serious. And no complaints. This machine is so good I can't complain. I am getting a refurbished, triple checked refurb!!! I am pretty confident that this will be better than "new", and cannot rave enough about this magnificent player....And the price.......I have not checked out 100's of players for comparison, but my eyes and ears tell me this is the finest quality sight and sound machine I have ever seen, and to get much better would be tough...and probably ridiculously expensive. Also plays DVA-Audio.....
But it's a MOVIE MACHINE.....better than going to your local theater.....
Did I say I love this player? Am I saying you should check them out? Just buy from an authorized Denon reseller...and you can be a happy camper too...$450.00 for a player this good, with a factory warranty( get an extented warranty for piece of mind ).....deal of the year?????
YES!!!!!
just my two and a half cents ;)

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Mike,

It's obvious you're amazed by the 3800's superlative progressive images, as I have been for over a year.

For some real eye candy when you get your 3800 back, try:

A) Sony's special demonstration "Dreams" DVD that's transferred as 24 fps and progressive right onto the DVD so no 3:2 pull-down or deinterlacing is required at all by the DVD player.

B) The Superbit version of "The Mask of Zorro".

C) The brand new restored/reconstructed Superbit release of "Lawrence of Arabia".

These three disks on the 3800 show fully what 480P DVD is capable of ....... assuming you'r using a CRT-based display ....... as any other kind of display technology cannot (yet) exploit movie black levels properly, as rendered by a carefully calibrated 3800-based HT system.

(Remember that the 3800's analog video response characteristic curve is unique - and therefore MAY (IMHO) be partially responsible for it's mind-blowing progressive video.)

Mike_Pal

Agent
:) :D I bought it at a factory authorized Denon dealer..check out Denons website for all of the dealers...I bought mine at eCost.....a really good price.
Get an extended warranty for an extra $59.00...and extra piece of mind. This player is just TOO GOOD!!!! Denon must have made a mistake....made a $5,000.00 player, and mispriced it at $1,200.00 accidentally.......
just being a knucklehead......
But for $440.00, I'm no knucklehead!!!!

Mike_Pal

Agent
:D The "Lawrence of Arabia " Superbit DVD is high on my list of must haves...Is the "Mask of Zorro" DVD that good too? Sound and video? Always looking for something unique, and the Zorro movie qualifies....Where do you get the Sony demonstration DVD "Dreams"? Have looked before, and didn't have any luck. I have a feeling that might be a tough one to find. How about a good sounding DVD-Audio disc....even though I have the "home theater" set up, and this IS a q.u.a.l.i.t.y. DVD player, I am interested in at least trying DVD-Audio........Yep, this player is a treat in the eye candy dept...eye, ear, nose, and throat....all the senses are taken in with this player.....I am already convinced that this player will delight for years to come....
anyone out there listening......do yourself a favor....get this player before they are all gone...........;) :D

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
How does the player's video look on say a 100" DIY screen using a HS-10 compared to a Bravo D-1 using 720p scaling w/DVI? (sitting 14ft away)
Because at that price I may very well consider it.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Mike,

Here's info about the Dreams 24P DVD - but I can't recall where/how I bought this DVD several months ago:

http://www.dtvprofessional.com/2002/...ilmsony24p.htm

The SuperBit of The Mask of Zorro is beautiful and I consider it as a definitive DVD demo disk. My widescreen VHS copy of it even views "very good" compared to other VHS titles - so the movie's master must be exceptional.

BTW, for an ear treat from a source you might never have suspected, try HDCD's on your 3800 - as it has the special HDCD decoding chip built into it's audio section -> spectacular! I can't tell stereo HDCD's from DVD-A's in stereo mode on the 3800. HDCD's special high definition decoding is another thing you get with $1200 MSRP and ~22lbs! (As you know the 3800 also performs it's AL24 Processing Plus magic on regular CD's.)

Mike_Pal

Agent
I have been digging through the CDs, looking for some HDCDs....found a few.....checked out their website for a complete list of HDCD releases.....turns out that I only have about 7 or so....when I get the player back from the shop, I plan on hooking up to surround system and checkin' them out first thing...
guess I will have to keep hunting for the Sony "Dreams" DVD....

"How does the player's video look on say a 100" DIY screen using a HS-10 compared to a Bravo D-1 using 720p scaling w/DVI? (sitting 14ft away)
Because at that price I may very well consider it."

This one I can't answer....I don't have such a large screen, or have ever seen the HS-10...and have never seen the Bravo player w/DVI.......I have a direct view 32" Sony tube........I lead a sheltered life I guess...
but my picture is still....incredible......and the player will be more than ready and capable for my next upgrade involving TVs.....
search around though....I don't think you can find a better player for anywhere near the price...and, you should at least "consider" this player during your searching...
happy hunting!! (but don't wait too long, these players are gonna get scooped up at this price rather quickly I would assume...)
:D

Mike_Pal

Agent
Has anybody jumped on this deal lately?:emoji_thumbsup: I have not been checking back to keep things going.....such a beautiful piece of machinery....a piece that is a little different than your average player in my opinion...it "feels" like quality...actually really built like a fine piece of audio/video equipment..no plastic in site..and it obviously looks the part too. Anybody else also go for this great deal on this great player??:D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, so, how do you like the '3800? ;) Seriously, you got a hell of a deal. I bought a new '3800 back in April at full retail (December '02 build date), and I love it. Now, I use it exclusively for DVD-Audio, but it is a wonderful component in that role.

Mike_Pal

Agent
I love this machine,:) as a video player and a DVD-Audio player and a CD player......my other player, my old Pioneer Laserdisc player LD-704, is my other CD player....a pretty good CD player, and a very good laserdisc player (still love my laserdiscs).....it is all so new right now, I am not quite all set up....
Just bought a new basic system, an Outlaw 950 Pre-amp, and the Outlaw 755 Power Amp, 5 channels - 200 watts each......(got a 30 day audition) ...and using my old Fosgate Audionics Model 4100 amp for my "rear" surrounds @ 200 watts per channel.......and the new Denon DVD3800.....I am in heaven....I think the new combination has incredible potential...I am a little leary of the new "digital" equipment.......the amp kicks butt for sure!! If not, its back to the old analog system, Fosgate Model 4 Processor, Yamaha CX-2 Pre-Amp, Parasound CSE 6.1 Processor.....................and the new Denon 3800 stays for sure!!! I guess I might be missing out without SACD, but DVD-Audio seemed the better choice, especially with the deal on this player..I LOVE IT!!!!!!
Do you just use the 3800 for DVD-Audio?? What does someone with one of the better video players going with the 3800 use instead for a DVD player? Just curious .....;) :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike asked:

Do you just use the 3800 for DVD-Audio?? What does someone with one of the better video players going with the 3800 use instead for a DVD player? Just curious .....
Yes, at this point, I have only used the '3800 for DVD-Audio. Music is by far my thing. By comparison, I am far more casual about movies. This is evidenced by the fact that my 5.1 system is not nearly of the quality of my stereo systems and that I still use a standard 27" TV. For DVDs, I use a Sony DVP-C670D carousel changer that I bought a few years ago.

I still should give the '3800 a workout with CDs (and HDCD-encoded discs). It would be interesting to see how it fares against the other players in the same room (Sony SCD-777ES and 'C555ES SACD/CD players).

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Mike_Pal and KeithH,

Well........guys............how's your 3800's sound with HDCD's? I'm eagerly awaiting your impressions!

My Reference Recording classical HDCD is superlative through my 3800 and I can't tell it from DVD-A. (I play both as stereo in my system.) :emoji_thumbsup:

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Phil.

I did listen to some HDCD with my Bryston 4BSST in stereo, but it's noting compared to some well recorded DVD-A. HDCD decoding is nice, but it's not that much better then a regular well recorded CD.

Mike_Pal

Agent
Phil,
I am still waiting for my player to return from the shop...I have dug out all of my HDCDs...only about 10 or so...
what is a good reference classical HDCD?
I am really looking forward to finally hearing these CDs the way they were meant to be heard....I can't wait!!! Will fill you in a.s.a.p.

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
I also have a 3800 on the way. I am mostly looking at this player for its video quality. Will be running in progressive scan on a Mits 55" HDTV. The upgrade bug has been biting hard for a while now. I have been using a Malata 996 as my main player for the last couple of years. I adore the scaling on this player! Now that I finally found the courage to hack into the service menu on the Mits to correct over-scan, I can live without the scaling. From my brief experience with the 3800 in a local AV shop some time back, I expect a huge improvement in image quality over the Malata.

Audio quality is also of interest to me. I am set (for now) with my Sony 555ES for SACDs. Excellent Red-book player as well. The ability to play DVD-A, & HDCD encoded disc is quite welcomed with the Denon. Keith I am very interested in a comparison between the 555 & 3800 if you find the time.

Todd

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Lévesque,

I'm not familiar with a Bryston 4BSST .... but I assume it has an HDCD decoder built-in that auto-switches "ON" the HDCD chip functions when it detects an HDCD encoded CD? This must happen of course to realize reduction of the additive and subtractive distortions that HDCD provides.

You might want to try an RR recording. They are located in San Francisco and can be found at: http://www.referencerecordings.com/

They do a lot of HDCD recordings of the highest quality. On my 3800, their Coplin RR-92 HDCD transports me right into the concert hall.

P.S. Didn't you have a Denon DVD-3800 for awhile?

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Phil,
I sent you private mail over at AVSForum. I don't know if you noticed at the top of the screen or not. Still waiting for a reply concerning the 3800's Y/C delay.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Ken - While I was pondering on whether or not I had $600 to spend on a DVD player - I did quite a bit of research on the documented 3800 problems. Prior to the fix date (9/02) - most of the units (all of the ecost.com ones) have poor laser pickup, chroma bug, and the Y/C delay. The first two can be addressed by the repair techinicians by a new laser replacement (9000's laser!) and a firmware update. The Y/C I don't believe gets fixed but you can get a delay box for it or you can do the cable route by making one cable longer than the other two. I think it was two 1M cables and a 7M one to approximately compensate.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah - and if any of you were figuring how I got the $600 figure - it was the $450 + $4X tax + $80 warranty for 2 years (which includes shipping).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks