What's new

Denon sound modes (1 Viewer)

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
I recently replaced my seriously aging Denon avr 1910 with the 960h. One of the music sound mode options is DTS + Dsur but I can’t figure out that it’s doing….or supposed to….

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That should just mean DTS plus Dolby Surround. Exactly what's happening will vary with the system and soundtrack, but for example if the soundtrack is 5.1 but your system is larger than that, 7.1 for example, the options are to play only 5.1 or use processing (Dolby Surround in this case) to matrix it out to 7.1.

You'll have at least two options for the additional processing. I'm in the habit of using Neural X for DTS soundtracks, since that's the DTS codec. Then I use Dolby Surround for Dolby based soundtracks, but you can use whatever you want. It probably doesn't make an audible difference.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Doesn’t Denon auto select processing to match codec? I thought this was a standard feature for the past 25 years? Or will it try and use Dolby to process DTS unless you manually tell it to decode DTS correctly?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Doesn’t Denon auto select processing to match codec? I thought this was a standard feature for the past 25 years? Or will it try and use Dolby to process DTS unless you manually tell it to decode DTS correctly?
It might be that way out of the box, I'm not sure, but if you select to play a DTS soundtrack with Dolby Surround processing, then the next time you play DTS it'll use Dolby Surround and stay that way unless you select a different codec.

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
It's not a codec. It's a sound profile. It tweaks the audio so it sounds in a different way including up mixing. Stick to direct to hear the source as it intended

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks