What's new

Denon receivers crossover setup (1 Viewer)

Troy TN

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone set their recievers front main speakers to Large rather than small if you have speakers capable of full range? It seems like Denon manuals for their receivers really push setting all speakers to small no matter what the speaker type. Even THX does. I have Klipsch RF-7 main speakers with an Anthem MCA30 for the front speakers and center speaker using a Denon as a preamp.
I would assume if one sets the mains to Large than the crossover would not affect these speakers. Only ones set to small?
In the Denon setup menus the crossover screen comes up when the mains are set to large or small. Is the crossover still in effect when set to large? If so what would be the advantage of setting my mains to Large vs small? I actually have better uniform bass when set to large. The sub seems more pronounced when set to small and dissapears or blends in better when set to Large for my mains.
I was hoping someone could chime in and let me know who has main speakers set to large vs small and what crossover frequency they use on the Denon setup menu.

Since THX suggests using small settings all around would one have a less performing system when et to large for mains?

Thanks

Mike Poindexter

Stunt Coordinator
I just installed a sub, but I keep all the speakers set at large. When I set the speakers to small, it was a HUGE hit to my bass. Unfortunately, it seems as though it is very hard to get both the mains and the sub to hit with a lot of bass.

Mario D

Grip
I tried this week the small setting and the bass in my opinion was not as uniform as if the setting was on large.So my set-up stayed on large. I also tried the lfe+mains and the boost was too much.So large it stays. I guess it also depends on your front speakers and how low they go mine hit 42 hrtz.It sounds great.

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
Just to be contrary :)

In my experience, the better your main speakers produce LF cleanly AND you have a sub that can also cleanly (and dynamically) produce LF to 25hz or less then 'small' is a much more effective solution. Managing the LF with the reciever at 80 or 60 hz would produce a very seamless (the directional bass you can hear comes from where it is suppose to and the rest is clear from the sub) sound.

With small all around (with some very nice full range 3 ways) I have a very good sound for HT (where all LFE goes to the sub as well) and music. I did find that before I introduced a quality sub I got better results from large settings.

FYI an as always - let your ears (not mine) be the judge.

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
If you guys haven't already done so,I would suggest getting an SPL meter and test individual tones to measure the spl levels of bass frequencies between 20 and 100 hz.

The uniform or more bass you are hearing may be 60-80 hz frequencies that are a 3 or more dbs higher than

CurtisC

Second Unit
I have 3802/rf7,rc,rs7,rsw15/parasound,I run all large.I think x over only applies when set to small.I have way lots of sub output and use all the 7's capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks