Denon DVD 1600 & DVD+R

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SeanA, Oct 20, 2003.

1. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I am considering purchasing an HP DVD re-writeable drive for my computer. It works with DVD+R and DVD+RW discs only, so I am curious if my Denon DVD 1600 will play the DVD+R discs ??? The manual for the DVD 1600 says it will play DVD-R discs, but no mention of DVD+R. Anyone have experience with the DVD 1600 and DVD+R ?

2. Mike Capulli

Mike Capulli Stunt Coordinator

I would look into buying a combo drive. This way you dont have to worry about any incompatabilities. I have a DVR-104 by Pioneer (DVD-R/RW only) and the new DVD-R discs I use (Ritek) are compatabe with all the players I've tested them on. Normally Sony, and RCA Proscans are very picky about discs but these new DVD-Rs work great! Plus DVD-R is somewhat cheaper than DVD+R. You can get a 50 pack for 40 bucks online. www.meritline.com

hope this helps.

3. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Yes the Denon DVD-1600 will actually read all 4 formats (DVD-R,-RW,+R,+RW) according to users who have tested it. You do need to be careful with authoring software and media quality.

5. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Thanks Gentleman,

I may keep looking and check the combo drives as Mike suggests. I was just pleasantly surprised to see that I could purchase the HP DVD 300i drive for $130 new and less than $100 as a refurbished unit. Last time I had looked at DVD writeabale drives, I think they were still well over $200.

6. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I bought a brand new Optorite 4xDVD+-RW drive for only $119, it works great! There is no reason to buy a non-combo drive now, the prices have come way down.