What's new

Denon 5800 DPL II Upgrade News (1 Viewer)

GregoriusM

Second Unit
I found the info on ezboard.com.
There will also be a 7-channel 2802.
But it seems the variable crossover frequencies are 80, 100 and 120hz on the 3802. What the heck is that? What happened to 40 and 60?
... Greg
------------------
.... just me up on my pony on my boat.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
80, 100, 120.
Well done Denon.
If only they had added 200 for those Bose users who buy expensive receivers.
Idiots.
Steve
------------------
Link Removed

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Yes, it does seem that Denon's variables are something to get cross over!
------------------

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
This is exactly why I am transitioning myself from a "Denonite" (circa 5700)to a "Separatist" (via the 3 Marantz MA700 monoblocks I added to my Denon 5700 about a half year ago.)
The 5800 is a great receiver for the money and a good starting point (or final receiver) for the upgrade path, but I can't honestly say that it is wise to continue to upgrade from mega-receiver to mega-receiver once you have reached this price range. You are just sinking too much money into hardware replacement that you should not have to make (the basic amplification portion, for example) to provide yourself with the latest bells and whistles.
My decision to jump off of the Denon bandwagon for future purchases was based on buying good amps one time, not multiple times.
I am still very happy with my 5700 (especially with the added oomph of the MA700 front soundstage) and have positioned myself for the next upgrade - a capable pre/pro.
Unfortunately, many of the pre/pro manufacturers also jerk us around regarding the time frame for introduction of product, so maybe the position I should be in is slightly bent over.
laugh.gif

But seriously, in the interim I am enjoying what I have and my upgrade path does not involve discarding too much equipment in the process. And when I become a complete "separatist" then the flexibility of future upgrades is even greater.
Recap: If you are just getting into the serious end of HT sound (and are not willing or able to plunge directly into separates all at once) a mega-receiver such as the 5800 (or the 5900?) or one of the many other fine mega-receivers from other companies is a very viable way to go. Just don't plan on falling into the mega-receiver upgrade trap.
Listen to the old man.
wink.gif

------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Robert: How would you characterize the change in sound, if any, when you changed from the onboard amps in the 5700 to the Marantz monoblocks?
------------------

Mike E W

Agent
I have the same thing in mind for my 5800, it will soon be a pre-pro and when it becomes hopelessly outdated Im going to move to a new pre-pro with the amps I will already have. I feel this will be less expensive in the long run than going the new reciever route.

W

Will

Saw Link Removed today about the Onkyo 989 (it's just someone's opinion):
quote:
while the 989 does not have DTS-ES or DPL2 right now, it will have both in the near future, whereas the AVR5800 will probably never have DPL2.
[/quote]

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Robert: How would you characterize the change in sound, if any, when you changed from the onboard amps in the 5700 to the Marantz monoblocks?
Gregorius,
Without a doubt, the Monoblocks opened up my front soundstage. I can push the sound more with absolutely no distortion. The entire front soundstage seems more effortless.
In fact, I believe I discuss this a bit on my HT web site. Go to the part where I discuss the addition of the MA700's to the mix.
And the best part (to keep this on thread) is that the Monoblocks, being modular, will be part of any upgrade path yet to be determined. (Dolby III? DD 9.1?
wink.gif
) These workhorses are built to last.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
But it seems the variable crossover frequencies are 80, 100 and 120hz on the 3802. What the heck is that? What happened to 40 and 60?

Well if you use this receiver as is,[all power amps5/7ch],then the 80 hz would be safe.If you go lower especially for the 40hz point the receiver could run out of power.But if someone would use this as a pre/pro[I would],then yes the 40,60 hz setting would be desireable.
I guess Denon concentrating on the,no outboard amp,small bookshelf crowd?
Outlaw looks better and better everyday!
wink.gif

------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks