What's new

Denon 5800 DPL II Upgrade News (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Will,
I saw that earlier...bummer.
It doesn't look like anything is set in stone at this point, just heresay...I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.
But than again, not sure how much I would use DPLII.
I wonder when these manufacturers will quit promising an upgrade path, only to come up empty-handed...
Jeremy

Jack F

Agent
If waiting for the Digital Board means that we will be getting better Bass Management or something useful, then I'm all for it. If it just means we'll be getting the FireWire that is pretty much useless as of right now, then I'll be really upset with Denon.
I'm still waiting on the NEW ATKIS SOFTWARE that was promised for last month.
This is my first post that's a little bit negative towards Denon. I love my 5800, but I think the company really SUCKS. The unfortunate part is - They aren't listening and they really don't care.
I have a hunch that the reason DenonDave is gone is because of his posting in the Forums and updating us on what was going on. It's just a Gut feeling and could surely be wrong.
In this day and age it baffles me as to why these companies don't have their own message boards where people can express opinions and desires in a product. Nikon had a nice Tech Forum and they got rid of it. I guess too many people were learning first hand before purchasing that they were actually paying top dollars to Beta Test products. I can see that happening in the Software world where their are so many different platforms, Hardware and Software that programmers have to accommodate. It just doesn't seem like that should be the case in a Receiver or a Camera.
My 5800 impresses me every time I listen to it. :) It does everything it was advertised to do with the exception of being upgraded. It has this port in the back that hasn't been functioning. I don't think it's broken. I think it's just kind of like FireWire, pretty much useless at this time.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
If I had a dollar for every piece of electronics equipment I was falsely told was future proof, then I wouldnt need them to be because I would be so rich. We'll see if onkyo still pulls off the 989/9.1 upgrade if denon backs out.
------------------
housesmall.gif

My DVD "Profile"
The start of my Home Theater website

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
Jack F:
The Software for atkis was a think I didn't mention yet at ezboard, but the story goes like this: It was planed to bring out a new software but the attempted as been ended due to the fact that the investment to make the atkis as functional as a pronto would have been to high.
So what was said to me clearly is that for Europe I do not have to expect any Software at all.
Maybe there this is still going to happen for the US, but I dough that.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
The recent sale of denon electronics to an american firm(venture capitalists?) may meen that some projects may slow down

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
So if B&K comes through with their planned DTS ES Discrete and DPLII upgrades, will the 307 become the undisputed 'King of All Receivers' ?

Andrew P

Second Unit
Dont worry Denon owners because im sure Denon will announce their upgrade to Pro-logic II next summer as the Denon 5900 Flagship receiver.
All sarcasm aside, did people really think that Denon would upgrade the 5800 when their track record is exactly the opposite?
Hopefully they come through, because $3,800 is a lot of money for a receiver.
Andy

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm none to surprised to see this turn out the way it is leaning towards.
While It's true we shouldn't be screaming up and down when the upgrade isn't even out or denied yet for that matter, I'm basing my opinion/post on Denon's past which has been promise an upgrade path/provide nothing but a new unit to buy.
On to something more promising is Denon's idea of a flexible crossover. When I asked DenonDave about it a few months back he said there is no need. I Have one and use a flexible crossover and now I wouldn't live w/o it because my system sounds atleast 5x to 10x better w/ the crossover set below 80hz.
Hopefully Denon comes thru and I don't have to go dig up my past posts about Denon's bad track record and How I doubt an upgrade will ever happen because I would hate to post on this board "I told you so"

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
Come on Andy - don't be so snotty.
1) Who paid $3800 for AVR-5800 ?
I was looking at AVM2 from Anthem (local dealer at $2250), and finally went with 5800 - for almost same price. As a result I got decent amp for free. It drives my HT room, with Paradigm Monitor9, monitor 5, CC350 & PW2200. Works like a champ. I even learned to use NEO:6 and DTS widescreen for movies with abysmal sound tracks.
2) Certainly, I would love to be able to use user menus on Aktis - currently I cannot. But then, I am using only few keys from Aktis - if I need a king of the hill remote, it will be Pronto, with custom icons. I knew about it up front.
3) Yes, I was hoping for DPL-2. If it won't happen, then it will be last purchase from Denon - and I still need a decent record player (Rega looks better and better), DVD progressive/DVD-a/SACD players - Souvereign line looks better and better; and then I will not buy next preamp from Denon. No biggie, just another customer with few k$ in my pocket. I will find better gear, thank you.
But why getting nasty and rubbing it ?
Manufacturers/marketing companies are making mistakes. It is great chance for guys with an idea and lotsa of guts to go for it (SVS for example). We can vote with our $$.
oh, and if someone want to forward this whole tread or just a link to it to DENON USA, feel free to do it.
_zjt

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
I can only ask the 'Separates' crowd to go easy on the Denonites..
laugh.gif

------------------
The things we own end up owning us

Andrew P

Second Unit
I wasnt trying to be snotty, but I figured id be safe by posting the list price from an authorized Denon dealer. I realize it can be had for much cheaper though.
Im a separate owner and I think thats the way to go, but the Denon 5800 is a really nice receiver. Denon should treat the people who buy this (id assume their best customers) like gold in my opinion.
Andy

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
B&K are being just as slow about upgrades to the Ref 30 and 305/307. Let alone those poor souls who thought their Ref 10s and 20s would actually upgradeable as was promised.
Personally, I will not buy an expensive prepro unless the company has proven record of timely upgrades.
At the moment that narrows it down to Lexicon, Meridian and TAG-McLaren.
Steve

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
I would be quite disappointed if Denon does not come through on the upgrade.
However the Denon 5800 is still an incredible receiver regardless of the final decisions.
------------------
Trevor
Link Removed
Equipment List updated
New digital pictures!
June 12,2001

W

Will

At least the Denon 3802 with DPL II should be out
in the fall. And it should have variable sub
crossover frequencies.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Will: Where did you get your info on the 3802?
... Greg
------------------
.... just me up on my pony on my boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks