What's new

Denon 3803 (1 Viewer)

BrandonR

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about getting a Denon 3803. I have a sony projector with 2 sets of component ins as well as S video and regular video in. I was wondering if the Denon has the ability to act as a switch between components. For example instead of running 3 or 4 sets of cables (15 to 20 ft long) to the projector could I just run say 1 set from the reciever to projector and have all my components plugged into the reciever. I am using a panasonic progressive scan DVD player and will be hooking a dishnetwork PVR 501 up as well as varying game systems Gamecube, Xbox and Playstation.

Brandon

BrandonR

Stunt Coordinator
Come on guys need some help here before I shell serious dough for the reciever and or cables.

Brandon

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Brandon, the 3803, IIRC, will act as a video switch and will even convert composite to S-Video or Component. But it only has two sets of component inputs in addition to a bunch of S-Video/composite inputs.

If two component inputs are enough, this could be your receiver. Don’t’ forget that you can always just buy a switch box.

BrandonR

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry guys for some reason I thought I had put this post in the reciever section.

Brandon

BrandonR

Stunt Coordinator
Any suggestions for a reciever with more than 2 sets of component inputs? For similar price.

Brandon

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Brandon,
If the 3803 does upconversion, why don't you just use the two for the dvd and sat/cable box and convert the game boxes to component through their s/vid or composite outputs.

Then you'll only need 1 set of component outs going to the pj. you should have plenty of s/vid inputs.

To answer your question I think 3 would be the max component inputs you would find snd only on the flagship recievers if at all and their much more expensive.

peter m.

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
Brandon,

I have a Sony 10HT and a 4ES receiver. I chose to run some cable through the receiver (DVD player, XBox) and others (HDTV box, S-video and video) direct. This way I can watch TV and still listen to music. Plus, I also ceiling mounted my projector and it really is no more difficult to run all the cables as it is to run a few. The projector also recognizes my preferred settings for A, B and video so when I switch between sources I don't have to recalibrate color, brightness, etc.

Bobpaul

Agent
I use the AVR-3803 as a preamp for center/fronts biwired through a Sherbourn 5/1500A amp. and use its own amp to fire up the rest of my 7.1 surround. This way i get super stereo quality for classical music and enjoyable HT experience sharing the power of both units.

GET THIS UNIT and never look back. The sound is incredible. You are getting a less powerful AVR-5803 with a few extras. The video upconversion eliminated switching the TV modes as i now only connect through component.

It will be a long time before i will get anything else. Also its high bandwidth video switching makes it HDTV proof.

Tip: www.6ave.com will match any competitor and they are authorized, sweet huh ?

Good luck

Bob

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
The only caveat I see with the 3803 is a lack of front panel AV inputs, a problem if you ever forsee connecting a camcorder or game console to your system. That's the one thing that's had me looking at the new Yamahas or Pioneer Elites.

Mark All

Second Unit
The only caveat I see with the 3803 is a lack of front panel AV inputs, a problem if you ever forsee connecting a camcorder or game console to your system. That's the one thing that's had me looking at the new Yamahas or Pioneer Elites.
I don't view this as a problem on the Denon or other receivers because most TVs have front AV inputs and a quality TV can put the sound from the TV through the receiver with a fixed hookup. It's also easy easy to leave a set of cables in place on the back of the receiver and string them forward if/when they're needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks