What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Demonlover question (1 Viewer)

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking into prices for Olivier Assayas' Demonlover today, and I noticed that both the R-rated and Unrated versions of the DVD are listed as having running times of 117 minutes (according to DVD Planet, DVD Empire and a couple of other sites). Is this correct? What are the differences between the DVDs? Do the discs have the same film, but different extras?

I had just assumed I'd be picking up the unrated version, but I can get the R-Rated one for $4 less at DVD Soon (they're not carring the unrated one), so if there's not too much difference, maybe that's the one I'll pick up. Anyone out there have some more information on these two titles?

Thanks,

- Bob P.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, I just ordered the DVDSoon listed version of Demonlover last night not realizing that there was an Unrated cut as well. Anyone have more info?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I seemed to recall more explicit animated sex the second time I watched Demonlover at SF/29... Well, okay, the time I occasionally wandered into a theater showing Demonlover to see if it was finished yet since I'd already seen it and saw no need to do so again.

I've also heard that the unrated version isn't actually more explicit, just slower-moving (which would explain the extreme restlessness of the audience that second time).

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
At one time DeppDiscount had both the R-rated & unrated versions for pre-order. Now they only have the R rated. I'm also confused.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
According to the IMDB, the film runs at 129 minutes, which is the version I believe I saw in February of 2003 at the Walter Reade's Film Comment Selects Festival.

Is that what's on the unrated DVD? Are there any reviews anywhere?

I'd love to get my hands on the original version.

Ted

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the heads up on DeepDiscountDVD, Jay. Now, I'm worried.... I ordered the unrated version from them. Hope they're still going to ship that one to me. I'll post when/if I get it!

- Bob

PeterSOB

Grip
This is just an educated guess based on actually having seen Demonlover theatrically. The film involves hentai anime as one of its plot points (if you don't know, ask your mother)and in the theatrical version, a couple of the shots that we saw were oddly fogged to presumably obscure certain details. Perhaps the unrated removes the fogging, which seemed to be added on after the fact and part of the original design.

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Drat! DeepDiscountDVD cancelled my order for the unrated version, no clear explanation given. :angry: Now, it's back to the drawing board.....

sigh!

- Bob

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
From a review I read by DVDSavant, the R-rated version has no footage cut, instead they used pixelation during some of the anime sex scenes.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

Footage (12 minutes worth) definitely was cut from when I saw it in the theater -- of course that may have nothing to do with the film's rating.

Ted

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Also, please excuse my apparent blindness, but I couldn't find DVDSavant's review -- could you give us a link, please?

Ted

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Has anybody gotten the DVD or seen a review of the "Director's Cut" Demonlover DVD due tomorrow?

What is the running time? Is it a new transfer? Are the advertised extras actually on the DVD?

Thanks for any and all info...

Ted

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
If there's blurring in anime or Japanese console game sex scenes... it's original to the Japanese material used in composing the film. Article 175 [I believe] of the Penal Code mandates it. A few American release H-anime have had the masks removed, generally with no good result as the animators didn't bother to draw completely what wouldn't be seen anyway.

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
DVDSoon is likely selling Lions Gate Canadian version, and for $4 more, you should go for the US version. According to DVDBeaver the transfer is terrible (and non-anamorphic)!

"This DVD is horrendous! It fails in almost every known category of Digital Versatile Disc acceptance - non-removable subtitles, non-anamorphic image (for a 2002 film?), this version appears cut (censored) by 9 minutes as well as appearing to be taken from a PAL source (lot of "ghosting"), no Extras, large intrusive bright colored, non 16X9 friendly subtitles"

YIKES!!!

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview2/demonlover.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shronkey234
Recent bookmarks