What's new

Delphi vs Visual Basic vs MS Access (1 Viewer)

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I'm developing a MS Access database application for work, but I'm wondering about whether it's best done this way. Access is very powerful (when you get to know it), but I want to be able to distribute an application package and update it. Access seems a bit tricky to update the application once you've created it. I've split into frontend and backend databases, but updating the backend seems tricky as the user already has lots of data in it.

Presumably I can write some VB to update the table structure if needed, and then just distribute a new frontend?

What about using something like Delphi or Visual Basic to create a database app that doesn't rely on Access? Lots of these collector-type progs eg DVD Profiler seem to be written in Delphi.

I've no programming experience (apart from limited use of VB in Access, and use of PHP & MySQL in webdesign), so which of the two (VB or Delphi) would be a good one to learn?

I don't have the office developer's edition, so this is not an option.

Thanks.

Will Pomeroy

Stunt Coordinator
There is a replicate function in MS Access, it should do everything that you need... I used MS Access while working for General Motors. We made a database that would keep track of all the maintenace performed on all of the new 'Stryker' Light armoured vehicles being deliverd to the US. It was updated internationaly, we had DBs all over the US and canada that needed to be replicate. We kinda reached the limits of Access, but it should work fine for you :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks