Dell Inspiron vs. Latitude

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Is there a difference in build quality between these two models? Is seems that Latitude is pushed more for corporate users, but I can't tell if that means they are more rugged.

2. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

It would think the Inspiration is of better build just from the pictures I have seen. It's also heavey.

However..The Inspiration gives you more choices of higher quality components, therefor you get a better performing machine.

A 64 meg ATI graphics chip is available currently.

3. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

I have the Inspiron 8100 with a 15'SXGA display and dvd rom drive. It's a great laptop. Haven't had any problems at all.It is heavy,and the 15'display drains the batteries quickly (2 1/2 to 3 hours), but I really like having a larger display.

Randy T

4. SamC

SamC Agent

There is one major difference.

Inspiron is a "Desktop Replacement" which means it has all the features of a PC like both a floppy & cd/DVD and often a bigger screen, but this also means it is quite a bit heavier.

Lattitude is a "Maximum Mobility" notebook. Much lighter, at the expense of convenience and power.

Really depends on what you need it for as to the best option. Both are of the same quality in terms of components and build.

I had an Inspiron (a coulpe of years ago) and it was great for me, but it was quite big.