What's new

Definitive Studio Monitors or Power Monitors? (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to find a new set of L/R speakers that are small so that when I go to college they'll fit in my dorm room. I currently have a Procenter100 and two Procinema80's at the back and A/D/S towers up front with a Velodyne CT120 sub all being powered by an Onkyo 797. Trying to keep price in mind, would the Studio monitor 350's, 450's or PM500's be better? I'd only spend $500 if I had my way, but if a litle extra will yeild a lot of results, I'll be happy to spend a litle more. Since a pair of PM500's would cost around $800, maybe my real question is, is the Studio Monitor 450 a lot better than the 350? I've read the reviews of hte 350, but no one seems to have reviews of the 450's, anyone got a pair of those? Thoughts, opinions?

Kyle, go with the 350's over the 450's and save yourself about 150 bucks. They are small but nice. I have them for frnts ,c2 cntr ,bp2x for rears and a vtf-2 sub powered by a denon 2802. my brother in law has the exact setup but has 450's. he will even tell you that there is no difference in sound between 350's and 450's. of course next year i plan on upgrading to the 2002tl towers. take my advice for what it is worth. (probably not alot)

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
I have the SM350's and am very happy with them now. I wasn't at first, but once they broke in they were great. I would highly recommend them if you like clean, detailed sound in a small package.

To the other owner, how does the C2 sound with them. I've been running a phantom center and I don't want to give up my 3-way sound?

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Lowell,
How much did you pay for these speakers, and how big of a room are they housed in? Also, what do you have powering these, and are you using a sub? I'm curious because I'm going ot be putting them in a big room for now, but later they will be in a small environment. I want to know if they can crank it for now;)

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
Right now they are in a 13x17 room. The room is wide open on 1.5 sides. It's hard to explain. The family room opens up to the right of the TV area into the breakfast area. Then the breakfast area opens up into the kitchen. Directly behind the TV we have a center staircase that goes upstairs. So one speaker has no wall behind it.

The reason I explained that they really aren't in a 13X17 room. The speakers put out great sound and have plenty of volume for me.

I paid $230 a piece for them. If I would have waited a little longer I could have got them on I buy one, get one 1/2 sale, to impatient. I am running them with a cheap 60W Aiwa 8" sub. I am using a Yamaha RX-V530 and have the mains set to large and the Bass set to both. Seem to work well. However, I do plan on upgrading the sub in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks