What's new

"Definitive" Chaplin 2-disc sets in 2003 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Warner Home Video, in association with French production group MK2, will be unleashing what it promises to be definitive editions of Charlie Chaplin's "Little Tramp" films next year. The Charlie Chaplin Collection is set to include 18 silent and sound classics, all currently undergoing extensive digital restoration. Each title will be released as a 2-disc set that will include exclusive commentaries, documentaries, outtakes, alternate footage, still galleries, and other materials.

A notorious craftsman, Chaplin re-edited certain titles years after their original release (most famously, 1942's The Gold Rush which trimmed scenes & subtitles and added a new score). Purists can rest easy, Warner & MK2 will include both versions whenever applicable. The first three films in the collection, The Great Dictator, City Lights and The Circus, will be released worldwide in June 2003 (The Great Dictator is due in France this November).

Each title will be released in two styles - a double-disc digipak (SRP $26.99) and a box set including a film frame and an extensive booklet (SRP $34.99).

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Patrick, those sound pretty cool! :emoji_thumbsup: I guess I should start saving my pennies.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Here's a list of different versions of the Chaplin films in the collection...
FIRST NATIONAL RELEASES:
A Dog’s Life – Original silent and The Chaplin Revue re-release with score.
Shoulder Arms – Original silent and The Chaplin Revue re-release with score.
Sunnyside – Original silent and re-release along with A Woman of Paris with score.
A Day’s Pleasure - Original silent and re-release along with The Circus with score.
The Kid – Original silent and re-release along with The Idle Class with score.
The Idle Class – Original silent and re-release along with The Kid with score.
Pay Day – Original silent and re-release with The Gold Rush with score.
The Pilgrim – Original silent and The Chaplin Revue re-release.
UNITED ARTISTS RELEASES:
A Woman of Paris – Original silent and re-release along with Sunnyside with score (plus the addition of a few insert shots).
The Gold Rush – Original silent and 1942 re-edit with narration, score, and sound effects with Pay Day preceding the feature.
The Circus – Original silent and re-release along with A Day’s Pleasure with score.
City Lights – Original Movietone version and Carl Davis re-scored version.
Modern Times - Preview version with complete song and general release version with shortened song scene.
The Great Dictator – No known changes for 1974 re-release.
Monsieur Verdoux – No known changes for 1964 re-release.
Limelight – 141 min. and 137 min. versions. One scene deleted to make shorter version.
A King In New York – American and British versions. British version is 5 minutes longer and is definitive cut.
The Chaplin Revue - Compilation of scored and narrated versions of A Dog's Life, Shoulder Arms, and The Pilgrim. One version, but listed since it's a compilation of the 3 silents.
I'm sure WB will release the First National films not in single editions, but in grouped sets.
I'm VERY much looking forward to the re-releases now...it's comforting that WB and MK2 are making sure these contain both cuts. In fact, I'm going to sell my current editions on Ebay soon...
Any word on if the discs will be in a complete box set? I'd personally like to see a full box set of these since I plan on buying A Dog's Life up to Limelight anyways. (probably the collector's sets...i wouldn't mind the booklets with the film sample!)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
This is fantastic news! I'm so glad I didn't try to get all of those out-of-print Image discs.

Both versions - the way to go...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, I rushed out and bought almost all of the Image discs, but it looks like I'll be double dipping on many of them.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Well, I spent nearly $200 to get all the 10 discs when David Shepard's original warning came out. But that was last year and I have watched each disc enough times to get more than my money's worth out of them. I will be picking up the boxset versions of all the titles when they are released next year.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
I too rushed out to buy the Image discs a few weeks ago... luckily I found the 4-disc box set at Borders for $40.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
You guys got it easy...

I paid full price for the 4-disc box set and The Circus.

...it was worth it, though. David Shepard really did a great job with what could be done in 1992. I wonder if MK2 is allowing him to produce the new editions...

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, good. I almost went on a bidding spree to get ahold of "City Lights." I look forward to getting this and trying some other Chaplin on for size.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Dear, God, I hope so. But, Patrick, where are you getting this news? Can we have a link?

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
And if you know a little French, you cab also visit MK2's French website at www.mk2.com
The features for The Great Dictator (to be released 11/06 in France) are now on line (http://www.mk2.com/chaplin/home.html), and include a 55 minute 'The Tramp and the Dictator' documentary and the 1919 barber scene that was already on the Image disc.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, I don't speak French, and Davis DVD is the web site of the orignator of this thread. I'm just trying to find some independent verification that both versions of The Gold Rush will be on the DVD, and so far I have found none. Both Davis DVD and DVD File link to the official Chaplin website (www.charliechaplin.com) for "more info," but there is absolutely no information about the DVDs on that web site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks