What's new

Deep Purple on Super Audio! (1 Viewer)

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Will both the SACD and DVD-A versions be derived independently from the original analog tapes? Could this be the album that format comparisons could be made with?

-JNS

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Lee. Give the whole story! You forgot the minor detail that the Deep Purple album will also be coming out on DVD-Audio. By the way, Machine Head is already out on DVD-Audio. ;)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I remember hearing that album, Concerto For Group And Orchestra. It's weird.
If you ever thought that smushing a hard rock group and orchestra would sound awkward... you're absolutely right. I don't know if I'd buy it.
The article also talked about the possibility of Machine Head on SACD. Now that would be interesting. I believe it would be the first album released on both formats (the only other one I can think of is Telarc's 1812, but that was originally recorded with DSD, so it's still not really a valid comparison. Of course I, stupidly, got the DVD-A :rolleyes:).
DP's Concerto album would serve as the perfect A/B tester between the two formats: older music, so no recording bias (if they both use the same source), strings, and bass. Heck, I might get both just to play with them.
NP: Rolling Stones, Hot Rocks, SACD

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Cool, EMI UK are doing them. That means we'll hopefully get the remastered versions that came out a little while ago with all the extra tracks. (Got to love that 2nd disc for Machine Head. Like hearing it for the 1st time again.) 2 channel SACD looks like it will be included as well.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Just like you where hearing a real cymbal.
Ed, I work in the studio and frequently hear a shimmer of cymbal live during jazz ensemble recording.

The fact is that PCM has never gotten such a complex but simple instrument right is terms of naturalness.

DSD to my ears comes a lot closer, particularly when fed thru a Meitner converter.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Lee, you had made no mention of shimmer. You only mentioned harsh.
As you well know, harsh is a characteristic of the instrument. As I am aware, shimmer is as well.
LPCM does produce both quality's of a cymbal.
If DSD, is more to you liking, so be it.
Just don't discount the fact that LPCM does as well.
Just, not to your liking.

Please keep DSD's lips off the master tape!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Ed,
I have never heard any PCM or hi rez PCM format properly capture the decay of a cymbal sound.
I have heard this happen with DSD however.
In the context of "harsh" I was talking along the lines of bright and grating like most engineers and audiophiles use the term. The cymbal can have a harsh sound as you describe in rock but can have a soft shimmer sound on jazz and classical ensembles which I work with.
Don't worry, the lips never touch - its still digital versus analog. :)

Lin Park

Second Unit
This may be a little off topic but I thought Bucky Pizzarelli's Swing Live was on both SACD and DVD-A. I've got the DVD-A but am not sure about the SACD. Does anyone else know about this one?

Thanx,
Lin

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
This is on Super Audio and it sounds good also. I think it might be from a PCM master, so a comparison with the DVDA may not be a fair test.
:)

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Bucky Pizzarelli's Swing Live is a PCM master disc. The SACD offers a 4.0 mix while the DVD-A has a 6.0. Since SACD will only allow 5.1, they did not release anything higher than the 4.0. The disc sounds good, but IMHO, I found the experience distracting due to the nearly constant applause out the rear speakers.

Others feel it recreates a jazz club atmosphere. So your mileage may vary....

Lin Park

Second Unit
Oh, you want a fair test ... ;)
I did not realize that about the SACD, that would explain things.
Lin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks