What's new

Decision Time.... What would you do? (1 Viewer)

Jamie Peters

Agent
For the last 2-3 weeks, I have been trying to decide what HT equipment to buy. I basically have no equipment now except for my DVD player and a brand new Hitachi 51S500. My decisions have ranged anywhere from a HTiB to mid to high end separates.... I want to thank everyone here at this site for answering my few posts and the wealth of information one can learn by searching and reading.... It has been invaluable to my task...

After thinking, reading, and going to listen to systems locally, I would very much like to buy (all at once) a separate system. I think the system I would like to have would be:
Onkyo 601 or 701 receiver
Polk RTi8's for front
Polk RTi5 Center
Polk RTi4 Surround and Back
HSU 10" Sub

After looking for the best prices on this equipment, it still makes this system come up to about $2300 to $2500 by the time I get it installed. REALITY has set in... I just can not afford this right now, especially after buying the new Hitachi.... With this in mind and wanting some kind of HT capabilities now.... I have the following options:

1. Buy an Onkyo HT-760 HTiB system and upgrade the speakers/sub later using the HT-510 receiver that comes with the system. ($500)
2. Buy an Onkyo SR-601 or SR-701 Receiver now and the HT-510 speaker set and buy some real speakers/sub later. ($725 or $900 depending on receiver)
3. Save my money and buy the above ideal system at a later date.

One question that I have that would help me make this decision is the difference between the receiver that comes in the HT-760 system (It is an Onkyo HT-510 receiver) and the SR-601 or 701 receivers. Are there any Quality difference in the way the 510 is built and the 601/701's? When you look at the specs on the 510 vs. the 601 it looks like the 510 has more power and just as many in/out options. Am I missing something here?

I know this decision is ultimately to be made by me, my ears, and my wallet but I truly respect the opinions of people here on this forum and wanted your thoughts....

Thanks for any comments/opinions you might send my way....

ChadLB

Screenwriter
How much do you want to spend Now?

Truthfully I wouldn't buy a HTIB setup...but that is just my opinion. Wait it out and buy the right stuff right away. Why spend X amount on a HTIB when you won't get back much when you try and sell it.

Receiver - take the 701....actually if you have the money and look around you can get the 700 or 701 for good prices. Any questions PM me.

Speakers - I wouldn't spend the money on the Polks. If I may ask how much is that POLK system total? Then I can give suggestions.

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
As good as multichannel soundtracks are, the 2 channel PCM soundtrack can be pretty satisfying - especially if you are going to upgrade later. I would consider buying a decent processor / receiver that you would like and just a front left and right stereo speaker pair for now. Sure, you won't have surround sound (yet) but even this would be a big improvement over using the speakers in the TV.

That way you don't waste any money on gear you won't use later.

Jamie Peters

Agent
I would like to spend $1000 dollars or less right now.

As for the price on the polks....

RTi8's are $700 per pair @ Crutchfield
RTi4's are $260 per pair @ Crutchfield
CSi5 is $400 @ Crutchfield
This with the Polk subwoofer promo $200 credit and $20 shipping comes to $1180

Single RTi4 from Polk or somewhere that sells singles is going to cost me at least $150 shipped.

The HSU STF-2 Sub is $425 shipped from HSU.

Onkyo 601 from Onecall is $425 shipped
Onkyo 701 from Onecall is $625 shipped

I was figuring on $150 for A/V cables and speakerwire

So for the Polk's and HSU Sub $1735

Couple this with the 601 and wire is $2310 or $2510 with the 701.

Do these prices look in line? I have searched the web and that is the best prices I have found when you consider rebates and shipping..

Suggestions?

As far as losing money on the deal, that is where my question about the HTiB receiver vs. the 601/701 comes in. If the HT-510 was a good reciever to build on later, then I would not be out that much, right?

John S

Senior HTF Member
The Onkyo provides a great base for upgrading...

I think I'd go ahead and get the whole shebang. Then after using it for a while, you will have a great grasp on what you want to improve on it. (like the Sub!! hint hint)

People here seem to like 2 channel for HT, but I'd take a compromised 5.1 / 6.1 over that anyday tell you the truth, even ProLogic heaven forbid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks