What's new

Deciding which University to go to... (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
My offers of acceptance have to be in by May 14th and I haven't decided yet.

I have applied for Electrical Engineering and have received offers from Queen's University and the University of Ottawa. (I know Waterloo is the place to go for engineering from what I understand.. but they're still processing their applications and I prefer not to wait around just to find out that I'm not accepted).

So this is my dilemma. Queen's or Ottawa U for electrical Engineering???

I know someone taking the same course at Ottawa, so if the books aren't changed, then he said could buy his (good point!). Also, I have a renewable $8,000 scholarship from Ottawa U (depending on my grades as my 4 years progress) and a $1000 entrance bursary.

As far as Queen's, I applied for financial aid and was offered $3400. So first year, I basically have 3000 from Ottawa and $2000 every year after that unless my grades drop, and 3400 from Queen's.

I am also guaranteed residence at both.

I know this is my decision, and this is getting quite long, but I would really appreciate any advice as far as which school would be best for Electrical Engineering, Co-op opportunities, etc. Just to get a little feedback.

Thanks,
Andrew

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I know nothing about the two schools, but don't calculate those books into your decision. I'm in school currently and at least here at Virginia Tech most of the professors change books every 2 years or so. It's nearly impossible to share books with people. This may not be the case at those schools, but I wouldn't count those books into the equation.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Have you visited both University's yet? If so, which did you like better?

Which University offers more in terms of on and off campus activities?

As long as both school's have similar academic programs, I would pick the school that had the most off-campus programs that will help you develop as a person.

I learned in school that the academics are there for you to develop your thought process and your brain, but the activities really help you in dealing with people, organizational skills, communications skills, etc.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
mmm for the hellofit you can swing by www.ratemyprofessor.com and see what the students think of the people who teach there.

Go to both Orientations or tours and just go to the one with the best female to male ratio.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I would suggest waiting on U of W. It has a fantastic engineering department with an outstanding co-op program. The co-op will partly pay for your education, and will help you decide if you really want to be an engineer. The real work experience lends itself to solid job offers upon completion.

If U of W rejects you go with Queens. It is a great school with a solid reputation. Queens alumnus are influential and everywhere. Kingston is also a fun and attractive city.

IMHO U of O is not even on the same playing field as Waterloo or Queens. The University of Ottawa may well be on its way to obtaining a good engineering reputation while both Waterloo and Queens already have great reputations.

Good luck with your decision.

James T

Screenwriter
I would also suggest waiting for U of W. And again, agreeing with Christopher, if they do reject you, then you can go with Queens.

Do you know the grade requirements for Waterloo? If your midterm grades met their requirements and your final grades did not drop below 70(unless it's specified at a higher percentage), then you'll get in.

Just a little University advice that I took for granted. I had high midterm marks. Afterwards, I let it drop big time(from 90 to 60) and one class I my binder was only 20 pages filled for the term. UofT requires your final marks not fall below 70, so I had my work cut out for me, but I made it with low 70s by the end of the year. When I entered UofT, I had no idea what was going on for a few weeks, so essentially, I had to work twice as hard just to keep up with everyone else who didn't slack off in highschool. The advice might be kinda late, but it's something worth thinking about.

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice. I understand that U of W would be the best choice for Engineering, but at the same time I'm hesitant about just waiting around when I have these early acceptances in my mailbox that will expire soon. I guess it's just a security thing. I think I'll probably end up accepting on of the offers and I can always cancel it if get accepted at Waterloo. I would have done that in the first place, but I had thought that I'd lose any deposit I made, but it turns out the deposit isn't due just yet.

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks