What's new
World Wide Stereo

Decent subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Schwabby

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon Schwabauer
I am trying to set up a home audio system and am looking for a subwoofer to add to the setup. I am looking for a subwoofer for around $200 or less that has good sound quality but not necesarily a boat load of features. I am looking for a simple solution that will complement the receiver. Thanks for any suggestions that you might donate.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
what receiver and what speakers. It will be tough to find such a sub. The best i can think of would be Athena Technoligies but they aren't in favor at best buy anymore so they could be hard to find.

Seth=L

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
I have a Velodyne CHT 12 im going to put on Ebay, $250. Pm if interested.

Rick88

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
If your room is on the small-medium size, I highly recommend the Mirage Omni S8 sub. It normally goes for $349, but I just got one at Vanns.com for $199. The black is full price but the Platinum color is on sale. This sub has an 8" poly woofer with Titanium deposit , a 100 watt rms/400 watt peak power amp. It has front mounted controls which is very convenient for adjustments. The build quality is very very good - much better than others in its class. It is very good looking too. Oh by the way, it sounds excellent. It goes down to 27Hz and puts out nice clean,tight bass. It is really good with music, tight not not boomy. No it is not an SVS or HSU, but it suits my needs just fine in my 10' X14' room. Below is a link to a review that helped influence me to buy mine. But if your room is on the large size this sub wouldn't be enough.

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/mirage_omni_s8.htm

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I don't usually like Sony's electronics but this sub of theirs surprised me:

SA-WX700

Earlier this year I had a employee at Circuit City hook it up to their 5.1 demo system (slow day in the audio department*) & listened to it for almost thirty minutes. Despite being located near the room's open doorway on a long wall (not exactly an ideal place for a sub), on Attack Of The Clones it cleanly rumbled quite well and with music it did even better. No boominess either. The 10" drivers looked like a car sub driver with their thick fiber cones and large rubber surrounds (the one on the bottom even had a chromed frame). Controls are conveniently placed facing up at the top rear of the cabinet. And I thought the sub looked nice too. I was on the verge of buying one with my tax return, but my car's problematic clutch put a stop to that plan!

* actually, I've noticed the audio departments at *any* retail store are pretty much empty ALL the time the last 3 years

SethH

Senior HTF Member
The 12" Dayton sub from PartsExpress is another good option in this price range. If you could get your hands on the old model it's even better, but they changed over around November of last year, IIRC. I don't know the specs of the other subs that have been mentioned, but the Dayton has been the low frequency king at this price point for awhile. However, being able to dig deeper may give up some SPL on the upper end of the spectrum compared to the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks