What's new

Decent Basic All-In-One System (1 Viewer)

Ed O'Brien

Auditioning
I'm a car audio junkie that is new to the home theater market. I am looking for an All-In-One home theater with a DVD player in one package. (I like to keep the remotes to a minimum, so I'd like it all in one box. I know I could use a universal remote, but I'm just trying to keep it simple.)

Anyway, I'm looking for just a basic 5.1 kit for around $600. (for a room about 20 ft x 10 ft) I know this isn't a lot of money, (I've spent more than 3 times this on my car stereo) but I just wanted to see what is out there for a decent price.

I'm not an audio newbie by any means, so any technical explanations of why to go with certains brands/models will not go wasted.

I'm just looking for some baseline recommendations of decent systems worth their price, so I can get started from there. I know in the car audio world there is sometimes better performance and value when you go outside the common namebrands of sony, pioneer, kenwood, etc.

Thanks!

John S

Senior HTF Member
You want a sub, 4 sats, a reciever, and a center channel for $600??? I think you can do it decent, but I would put all the money into the reciever, 4 sats, and center channel and save for a really good sub.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
If I were determined to go with a HTiB I would go with Bill's recomendation. This is a good HTiB and will trounc most compitition even at a higher price point.

If upgrading is in your future? I then would go the sep rout and do the sub at a latter date as John sugjests. This option will save you $$ in the long-run and you will end up with a better system.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
My opinion is just to skip HTiB. Basically they are low-end speakers with a low-end reciever, in most cases unless you spend alot.

I would probably go to the path of some satellite speakers, a decent reciever, and perhaps save some $$$ for a subwoofer.

Some system to look at are JBL, Klipsch, and Polk Audio which all sell satellite speakers at an affordable price.

www.soundcity.com has a great deal on a Harman/Kardon AVR-125 reciever for about $200 and you can't really beat that, especially a HK.

A subwoofer is another subject all together.... which should be somehting you might want to tackle at a later time. If you just want something that is gonna do the job and produce decent bass then a Polk Audio PSW202 isn't bad, Sony also offers a few subs which aren't bad either for there price.

If you are a stuck with HTiB then I think Bill has got it down there.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi there, Ed. Since you're requesting brand-specific advice regarding an HTiB, I'm moving your thread to A/V Sources. Basics is for asking such questions as, "What's an 'HTiB'?" or "What's a receiver?" or "What is this stuff called 'fire'?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks